My Fast GTi banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I, as most of you would probably agree, hate my stock deck. I LOVE my 07 GTI, and need better sound. I have a few questions and things here, so please bare with me.

I really want an LCD DVD etc head unit, but the wife says no way...

...anyone have experience with this Pioneer Premier Deck? DEH-P880PRS
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069882_291159496,00.html

I went to a well established stereo/installer in Victoria and this is the Deck they recommended.

The recommendation came after talking to him about replacing all the speakers... He was saying not only is replacing the speakers in the doors a huge pain in the a$$, there would be problems finding good speakers that are thin enough to replace the stock - he recommended going after a higher end head unit to balance the sound and when adding a sub and pulling base from the speakers, I could get amazing sound at a lesser expense.

What are the thoughts on this?

Has anyone replaced their stock speakers? What did you use? How much of a pain was it?

Also what about warranty issues with VW - does replacing the stereo have any impact on this?

Huge thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, the speakers arenÂ’t that hard to replace, and you doing need thin speakers. You just need to purchase spacers so the speakers will fit in there correctly. Any install bay should have these. IF you want a better sound replacing the speakers is a must. It is probably the first thing you should do actually. The Pioneer Premier has decent decks but it really depends on what you want to head unit to do. If you are planning on plugging an iPod into your system I would go with an Alpine. They have the best iPod control out right now. It's the only full speed iPod control on the market. If you really want a nice sounding system, Alpine is coming out with a relatively cheap processor that will go for approximately $350 bucks. A little pricy for some, but from what I have heard from the Alpine Rep. and other people that have tested it out, it's amazing. I don't think it will be out till the end of summer though. Hope this helps with your decision. Oh by the way the front and back door speaker sizes are 6 1/2" and a tweeter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply - no need for ipod connectivity or anything of that nature, MP3 CD is good enough - we mostly listen to Sirius anyways.

As for the speaker size I think you may be wrong, at least in my case. I know this is a 10 speaker system, 3 way system in the front (two speakers in each door + tweaters) and in the rear beside the seats there are two, (appear to be about 5", but not certain).

I am hearing a lot of mixed reviews about having to replace the speakers, and if doing so what a pain it is - its making me re-thing the whole new stereo idea. I'm not sure I can get 10 speakers, the sub, amp, HU, instal, and the kit for steering wheel control for under $2k - take out the speakers and I know I can no problem. May go without the speakers, then try to add them later if needed... hmm...

I love this VW, but I just wish Volkswagen could have been smarter with the stereo & speaker combination - for more than $30kCDN one would expect a better system.

·
Registered
809 Posts
You cant go wrong with a Pioneer deck. I've had most of the popular brand decks in my various vehicles and I have always leaned toward Pioneer beacause its very user friendly and not too flashy.

As for speakers, you could get a decent component set-up from Fosgate or Karmen Gherin (sp). I dont know that they have 10 speaker set-ups but I know most of em are 8.

Are you gonna do the install yourself ?? Crutchfield includes a very detailed, yet simple to follow set of instructions specific to your certain vehicle. I was able to do my last set-up with virtually no problem, and that says a lot condiering how much I hate playing with wires. Shocking !! :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
most factory decks push out maybe 25 - 35 watts per channel . . . depending on the manufacturer. i would imagine that the gti's factory deck puts out a number north on that scale.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just did my stereo install and replaced the speakers. Don't let ANYONE tell you it is "easy" they have no idea what they are talk'n about, but only because they have not taken the doors apart/off the car........I did last weekend

This car is so well built and was the hardest install I've every had to do on any of my cars, why you ask.....cuz of the speakers. You have to drill out the pop rivits outta the stock door woofer to get it out (make sure your windows are rolled up) stock tweets are SO small that you wont' find anything that will fit that and give you a good sound without having to mod the piece that houses them......there's just a ton of problems/road blocks to over come...I just kept hitting walls.......but I finished :D

You can check out pics: http://www.pimpmyauto.com/gti/gtipictures.html (they are broken up into build pics, and finished pics) - everything I purchased/installed is listed on the pictures pages

First you need to find a good 3 way set and you will pay $$$$$$$$ for them. I agree with the tech, to stay within your budget, so a HU and sub...otherwise you are talk'n big bucks and at least few days without your car. I spent 24 + hours do'n mine with another set of hands. I still have some things to button up.

If you need direct questions asked, feel free to ask them

·
Registered
139 Posts
I replaced the head unit with a JVC CD/DVD head unit and installed a bazooka sub with a kenwood amp and PS2.

On a difficulty scale of 1-10 it was about a 4.

The hardest part of the whole project was getting the RCAs from under the passenger dash to the opening for the unit and running the power wire through the fire wall.

I kept the stock speakers and it sounded 10 times better.

I did this all by myself with no real radio installation experience.

·
Registered
277 Posts
mofo529 said:
I replaced the head unit with a JVC CD/DVD head unit and installed a bazooka sub with a kenwood amp and PS2.

On a difficulty scale of 1-10 it was about a 4.

The hardest part of the whole project was getting the RCAs from under the passenger dash to the opening for the unit and running the power wire through the fire wall.

I kept the stock speakers and it sounded 10 times better.

I did this all by myself with no real radio installation experience.
You got it man, I'd give it about a 4 or 5 too......and if you have the right manuals it can be done pretty quickly too.......the doors and speakers were the biggest problem....

I ran power down one side of the car (Drivers side obv), and rca's down the other as to lessen interference. But the trick to get the wires up into the dash from the pass side is snake them down the pass side, under the top part of the pass footwell, behind the console (coat hanger and some ducktape on your RCA's) then go up under the steering wheel and into the HU spot. Once you get the wires on the drivers side you can snake everything up and in with your hands .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, I did the coat hanger trick with the RCAs but when your by yourself it's kinda hard.

I must of used up a whole box of band aids during the install.

·
Registered
277 Posts
mofo529 said:
Yeah, I did the coat hanger trick with the RCAs but when your by yourself it's kinda hard.

I must of used up a whole box of band aids during the install.
LOL, me too man my fingers STILL kill........I did that part by myself too, I got lucky I got the hanger right through first shot, I walked around to the drives side - imagine my surprise when i actually saw the hanger plain as daylight....it was like hitting the lotto.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts