My Fast GTi banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( I have noticed some strange sounds in my steering system, I can really hear them when I am in the parking garage at work and they have been getting louder or maybe I am getting more paranoid about them. ??? Anyway, when I turn at low speeds in an enclosed area they are really noticeable, seem to be coming from front wheels, especially passenger front wheel and is more noticable if I just move the steering wheel slightly from side to side while my fast is sitting still.

Has anyone else noticed this and has it been diagnosed by a dealer?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so no one on here has had this same problem, but if you do, the issue was diagnosed today as a bearing issue on the passenger side of my Fast's steering. The bearing itself is working fine, but for some reason is very noisy...and getting noisier daily. Dealer had to order two new bearings to replace both left and right sides and will install them tomorrow...they also fixed the rattle in the center dash air vent and located the source of a rattle in the passenger side rear valance, turns out that the "oh shit" handle on that side was loose, they tightened it down along with all of the other grab handles in my Fast...still need to fix the noisy sunroof, hopefully that will get accomplished tomorrow. 8) 8)

·
Registered
573 Posts
Does it happen anly when turning to the left?

Sorry about the experience you are having. The guys on the line must have had a couple of extra beers at lunch that day.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no, it is actually when the steering is turned either direction, you can hear it at low speeds, otherwise the engine drowns it out...it is in the shop now getting repaired...must have been the beers...Thanks Gunny for the reply... ;D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Steering Sounds GONE! YEAH, it is like driving brand new again, though I only have 4,200 miles... :) they also fixed the sunroof noises and I am very happy with the service dept. at Miramar Volkswagen in San Diego...if your in San Diego DON'T go to City VW for service.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i drived my gti somewhere in the desert, and i was obliged to pass on an offroad section to arrive somwhere...so...the car was stock in the sands...and after getting it out of that problem, i found out that there were sand everywhere, i did the best i can do to clean, but there's still some sounds coming out from the wheels...
any advice for fixing this problem?????

·
Registered
346 Posts
Had my bearings replaced too. You're not alone. I'll see your bearings and raise you mushy squeaking noises when going slowly over ridiculously high speed bumps. ???

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
I'll call your mushy squeaky noises from front suspension, over speed bumps, and raise you the observation that it only occurs when the temp outside is about 40 and under. Thoughts? Maybe bushings need lube? Is it worth draggin to the dealer?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
if you hear any noises coming from the suspension i would definitly take it to the dealer... should be warranty work to fix.

·
Registered
125 Posts
First, I am going to say something about the squeaky sound issue coming from what seems to be the suspension. I had that happening at cold temps from the driver side rearand it turned out to be the brake pad shims. Get a Leatherman in there and pull the shim out like 1/2 a millimeter, if even that. Made the problem go away. Second thing, why does no one else have a problem with news rattles and sounds coming from their car every other week or so? I am getting a little desperate because the dealership that I go to won't do anything with the car unless there is something falling off or the car won't run. I even have a slow leak in one of the tires, they said that they sprayed it, and dunked it, and couldn't find the leak, so they sent me home. I am stuck putting air in every two days, and I can't do anything about it. I have a very loud squeak from the alternator (accessory) belt, a VERY loud rattle from the clutch housing that only occurs when the clutch is not engaged and the tranny's in neutral, and a ringing sound from the passenger's side of the engine. I really need to know if anyone at all has noticed any of these problems. I haven't lost any power, I always use Shell 93 Octane, and always use the proper oil. I have almost 9000 miles on it now (bought December), drive about 140 miles a day, and hardly ever run it above 4000 RPMs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I may have an answer for the mushy squeeky noise. VW installs a rubber spacer between the control arm and coil for shipment. I had this same noise, and found out that the spacer was left in my car at dealer prep. Check to make sure that the spacer has been removed from your car. Once the spacer was removed, the noise went away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry guys not actually a newb just can't seem to get back on to my old profile Stupid_fast_GTI.
Anyway, the squishy noise from the suspension is really bugging me. I live in Colorado and in a neighborhood with a lot of speed bumps. This means that every cold morning and night I have to deal with this stupid noise. Is it the suspension or do any of you think it may be the front anti-roll bar. I could see a bushing on that being a culprit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i had these problems to, i took it to the dealer, they replaced front sway bar bushings, noise gone, now its back and they are going to replace some control arm bushings as well, and just recently i lost all my power steering, they replaced it with a brand new power steering rack...everything was under warranty...thank god

·
Registered
49 Posts
thread revive:

My car clicks when I turn it, not a CV joint click but a pop when I get two revolutions around. I have looked it up before and came to the conclusion that it was the steering rack. I went back to florida for leave and I had to slam my brakes due to a retard pulling out in front of me and ever since then I have had the bloody click again.

Anyone else have this issue? Seems to me that something is royally FUBAR if I go through two in a year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:( I have noticed some strange sounds in my steering system, I can really hear them when I am in the parking garage at work and they have been getting louder or maybe I am getting more paranoid about them. ??? Anyway, when I turn at low speeds in an enclosed area they are really noticeable, seem to be coming from front wheels, especially passenger front wheel and is more noticable if I just move the steering wheel slightly from side to side while my fast is sitting still.

Has anyone else noticed this and has it been diagnosed by a dealer?
i had the same issue... turned out to be front bushings... the steering used to sound like a heavy old door opening, now its as quite as a church mouse

1 - 15 of 15 Posts