Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I have posted a few thoughts already, discussing winter tires, stud vs. stud-less. Since winter tires are on their own expensive, especially for 18” huffs, I have deiced to put them on 16” black steel wheels. Does anyone have pictures of this already done? Thoughts? I figured it would look alright for 4 months, black GTI w/ black wheels and tires.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I just ordered a set of 16" steel wheels with Hankook W409 iPikes. I'll post some pics when I install, which won't be for a couple weeks yet

United Gray 5-Door, 18" Huff's

·
Registered
163 Posts
Let me guess, the discs and calipers? I ordered it through a local wheel shop. All they do is wheels(and tires) and nothing else. Is not the full size spare in the GTI similar to the Rabbit? I won't need them installed just yet ,but I think I will have them put one on just to see that it fits before I take them home instead of finding out in 3-4 weeks when I go to mount them

·
Registered
163 Posts
Picked up the wheels and tires. Had them test fit them first and fit like a glove! I will post pics in a couple weeks Blackmagic555 when I mount them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arg, sorry for no posts on my behalf, the thread had been up for about a week before any replies. The pics, sounds great. I will probably go ahead and order mine this week and have then put on by the 5th, will post pics as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Canadian models don't have the TPMS(says right in the owners handbook U.S. Model only)so I'll have no worries. Also since mine is a 2007 1/2 Launch control is no longer on it. Doesn't really matter to me because I am in no hurry to replace those 18" tires!! I know I could get the dealer to re-flash the car(for a fee I'll bet!) but it just doesn't matter that much to me. I just just love having all the torque when I take off considering I used to drive a Honda Civic Si and had to rev it to the stratosphere to get the V-Tech to kick in.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered mine today, and had to know what they were going to look like. So, i put on my 16" spare for a little comparison. rugged?

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
looks like a reg rabbit, talk bout the stealth look

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
yea.....wouldnt look as good if the car wasnt black. I have TR and i dont see it have the same effect.

·
Banned
890 Posts
I found great deals at Tire Rack for Alloys with Blizzack's. Didn't have quite enough $ but they offer what is called'Bill me later" which is a line of credit from Chase.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here are a few pics of my baby - 16" OEM steelies with Michelin X-Ice tires. I actually don't mind them, it does give the car a stealth look. Also, the tires are really good - they've gotten me out of a few jams. Hope this helps you.

[/URL]
[/URL]

·
Ex-Fahrenheit GTI Owner
1,312 Posts
Nice pics, magic....

Like you said: the stealth look is awesome.

I am so glad we don't need winter tires here in Las Vegas...Summer tires all year around!!!

Although I go skiing a lot in Utah (3 hrs from Vegas) - does anybody have any recommendations for chains? (I have 18 inchers) or any other solutions?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts