Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys my mark 5 has had this issue for some time now and i cant find the culprit. in high gear, heavy boost, low rpm.... i get a wooshing/ffttffttfftt sound that sounds like the DV/wastegate possibly opening and closing repeatedly, at EXACTLY 2100 rpm it starts and continues to 2400 rpm identically everytime. not only do i get the noise i feel the car hesitate in sequence with the ftftftft noise. cam follower, plugs, and coil packs are all brand new and did not change the issue at all. i aslo have the newest revision of the DV the "piston" style that is supposedly bulletproof? my intake flap actuator is bad and t has been bad for a while BUT this does not seem to have anything to do with the issue in my mind. i have a p flo intake which aggressively amplifies the sound compared to the stock intake/cover. If the sound is NOT air/boost simply being rerouted else where, then i would consider the noise horrifying as it sounds like it could also be the turbine fins or something in the turbo screeching which is never good. on the other hand i boost completely normal throughout the rest of my rpm band. it is only in this little 300 rpm window the hesitation/noise occurs. i also know that from the oil i found on the TOP of my plugs that my valve cover gasket is shot from when the pcv went bad, this is certainly not the cause im assuming, but would be nice if it was. and my newest issue is the gas cap light and CEL coming on and CEL staying solid for days starting the day i removed the check valve from the rear pcv to combat the "chugging" noise it produces. please help guys my cars DYING! lolz but for real this has been driving me insane for months. ANY insight will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good idea Cotello, ill make a video tonight and post it up

update: so i spent a while doing low rpm gear pulls today and figured out that its not only doing it between 21-2400 rpm its is just more pronounced at that specific rpm band. in lower gear the rpms rise faster so i didnt take not that in lower gears the boost will surge between 2-3k rpm but over 3k there is no fluctuation that i can notice. so now ill be looking for something that will just cause low rpm boost surges and not something more specific like i thought.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Removed maf and cleaned with Cnc electrical parts cleaner. Problem immeadately subsided. Can still hear the noise vaguely but the hesitation is almost conpletely gone. New maf is in order.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts