Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an '06 2.0 New GTI about 3 weeks ago from a used car dealership in Massachusetts. So far i've had to replace the compressor for the air conditioner, a turbo valve and ...someother valve, and now my mass air sensor went off and I have a huge deficiency in my engine vacuum (at the shop now so it could be a simple hole in one of the lines or something larger).

I've heard Volkswagen may need their repairs more than some other car brands but this is ridiculous. It is all under warranty but I hardly get a chance to drive the thing.

I've been unfair though. When the car is running good, it is my dream car and I never want to stop driving. But it this what I should expect in the future?? My mechanic, who claims to know Volkswagens, told me that he would never recommend this car due to the amount of repairs he does on them.

HELP! I wanted this car for so long but I'm having serious regrets to the point where I may return it.

I want someone to convince me to keep it but please be honest. I know I'm asking this on an extremely biased forum but I'm hoping to get some advice or stories of people with similar stories or similar problems with the car.

THANK YOU

·
Registered
239 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I somewhat had a similar experience. I bought my 06 MKV about an hour north of where I live and its a certified vehicle..I love the look. However, as i drove back home after financing it I noticed the stiffness of the ride due to the dropped height of the vehicle, no Aux output, and a laggish gps system and radio. It was a hasty choice and i was stuck contemplating whether to return it. To make matters worse I tried taking it to a vw shop near here to have them fix the issues but they said nothing could be done cuz the car had aftermarket parts (h&r springs, quad tip catback exhaust, etc)

So I took it back to the dealer where I bought it to return it and they offered to fix the minor problems and they also wrote me a check for $500. After I left i couldn't have been any more happier with my car. I loved going out and I didnt have to dread it anymore. I bought my car last october and Im still driving it and hoping to soon make some mods on it.

People talk crap about all makes and models all the time. Dont let it influence you much. If you love a car you treat it with love as I have. Give it time to settle in and best of luck :)

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
Motor in these cars have issues, that being said, they fixed most of them when they switched to the tsi midway through 08.

If it's really bothersome, possibly look at one that has a tsi instead of the fsi motor.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reassurance. I was heated at the time I wrote this but i picked the car up from the mechanic right after and found that the last problem was nothing serious at all. I'm going to stick with it. I love the car and your right; every car gets criticized by somebody.

·
Premium Member
12,564 Posts
Thanks for the reassurance. I was heated at the time I wrote this but i picked the car up from the mechanic right after and found that the last problem was nothing serious at all. I'm going to stick with it. I love the car and your right; every car gets criticized by somebody.
Just keep an eye on your cam follower. That can be VERY problematic if it isn't changed annually.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Just keep an eye on your cam follower. That can be VERY problematic if it isn't changed annually.
Agreed^ While it is seldom with me, when my MKV has occasionally been on the fritz, it's frustrating and I almost want to sell the thing and get a different car, but when I get it out of the shop and get in and start driving it, that feeling goes away instantly. It seems like you're getting the same feeling. Stick with it, it's worth it. Nothing in it's call drives like a V-Dub.

And check with your local VW dealership, there's a factory recall on the camshaft follower and the fuel pump for the '06 MKV 2.0T FSI that was issued this past April. Don't let this turn you off VW, they're on top of their game with this recall, just get the parts above changed, and you should be a happy camper.

P.S. the updated cam follower gives your engine a much more throatier growl:mad:@:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll be honest these cars do require quite a bit of maintenance; however, these cars do last a long time and they are different from any other car. I have an '08 GTI with the 2.0T FSI motor just like you do. I bought mine with 30K on it and im now at 60K. It is worth keeping trust me. And FYI any old mechanic doesn't work for keeping our cars in order, especially the 2.0T FSI motors. TRust me on this one, if they are not certified by VW DO NOT let them work on it. Even if the mechanic you take it to sees these cars alot, if they do even the most minor thing wrong it can totally jack your engine up. Even watch where you go for oil changes, I've seen it where people take their VW into a huge chain oil change place that is very reputable and the oil change puts generic conventional oil in instead of the required synthetic. That too will wreck the way the engine runs. These cars are picky and aren't afraid to let you know when something is wrong or they don't like something you did. I just recently hit a rough patch with mine, and I'm closing in on my 60K tune up and my car hasn't been afraid to tell me. I got it all taken care of and now its like it was when i bought it 30K miles ago. Treat your GTI right and they won't let you down, trust me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also a new owner, bought a certified 06 with 21k a month ago, love the car it's already been back to the dealer three times for fuel related issues including fuel cap recall that wasn't replaced. Dealerships been awesome, I have a hard time keeping this little rocket under 100 mhp. An earlier response mentioned fuel pump recall and cam follower are you sure of this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yea, you might want to look into the recall items for our vehicles. There are quite a few, that's why when you go to parts websites you'll notice parts that say "revision a, b, e, f" each revision is ptty much due to a recall to replace a faulty part. If you go to vw's homepage, and go to the owners or service section of the site they list all the recalls for our vehicles. The biggest one is the dsg transmissions. Vw extended the warranty to 10 years or 100k miles because of faulty mechatronics.

·
USMC
1,105 Posts
Honestly, I would return it! Then purchase a tsi GTI as the FSI has major issues, most of which are fixed on the 08+. Especially of you plan on tuning or other mods. Also, how many miles are on this car? I know you have a warranty, but at some point its better to get rid of it! At least, that's what I did!

Regards,

-Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.