Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been dealing with an issue of my car never starts the first time I turn it over when it has been sitting. Hot or cold doesn't matter. If the car has been sitting for more than a couple of hours, it will always take two or more times of turning it over to start, no matter how long I hold it. has anyone else had this, and if so, what was the fix. My dealership sure doesn't seem to know, and it costs me 4 hours each time they want to take a stab at it. :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have them check to see if it's getting fuel... the more and more I read about problems on this car the more I wonder how many of us have bad Intake camshafts, and aren't getting enough fuel pressure from the engine driven High pressure fuel pump...

My car was having what seemed to be vapor lock and since the dealership that I brought it to just had a Jetta 2.0 that had the same problem they went strait to the camshaft and found it to be worn...

Your symptoms aren't the same as mine were... but you could always ask them to check... the TSB that relates to that fuel pump problem is 15 07 04 Right now they are replacing the intake camshaft and high pressure fuel pump.... and due to unrelated issues they are replacing the exhaust camshaft...

Good luck and keep your chin up...

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Gunny said:
I have been dealing with an issue of my car never starts the first time I turn it over when it has been sitting. Hot or cold doesn't matter. If the car has been sitting for more than a couple of hours, it will always take two or more times of turning it over to start, no matter how long I hold it. has anyone else had this, and if so, what was the fix. My dealership sure doesn't seem to know, and it costs me 4 hours each time they want to take a stab at it. :D
Gunny- has the dealer scanned the ecu? Any locals around you have vag-com? B or F ver. pump/regulator under the engine cover? What do the spark plugs look like?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dragon said:
Gunny said:
Gunny- has the dealer scanned the ecu? Any locals around you have vag-com? B or F ver. pump/regulator under the engine cover? What do the spark plugs look like?
It might be worth buyinh a vag com, if there are faults that would lead to to the answer. I think I can rule out the plugs, and the cam though (it has done this from day/mile one). The fuel pum seems to fit. Is there a TSB I can reference to the dealer ( a new dealer this time...)? I was also thinking coil...?

Thanks for the advice. Once I turn it over that second time, I wouldn't trade my fast.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been loking into it, and got it down to three possibilities that seemed to make sense (after ditching the service center where I bought the car).

Check Vavle - The condition only happens after the car has been sitting for a few hours. A bad check valve (service rep acknowledges there are issues with), will allow the fuel to drain from the fuel rail, and cause the car to be hard to start after sitting. However, this did not explain why the car would not start no matter how long I cranked it over.

Fuel Pump - A lot of the same...

ECU - We have a winner. It has to be the ECU. If I turn on the ignition (not cranking, but just power it up), wait 10 - 15 seconds, it will always start on the first crank. Or... If I power up the same way for only few seconds, power down, and then crank it, it start right up.

Is this the same in your cases?

I go to have the ECU replaced Monday. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing. After I put in the 93 octane APR ECU mod it stopped. Must have been an issue with the factory ECU setting.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It just stopped. I was supposed to drop it off last week to the service center, but it started on the first try that day. Against my better judgement I decided to wait and see wht happened, but it has not taken two cranks in a week. Nothing has changed. Go figure. Taking lots of notes in case it starts again.

How do you like the APR flash? Did you have to mail in your ECU?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its clean. Never been flashed, and honestly the starting issue is what had held me off from doing it already.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Gunny said:
Its clean. Never been flashed, and honestly the starting issue is what had held me off from doing it already.
If it happens again: Disconnect the battery for 15- 30 mins (yes you will loose any settings on the radio and MFD)

Did the dealer dump the ECU for error codes last time? You will loose those if you reboot the ECU.

DSG or conventional manual? If it's DSG (just humor me here), put the car in N and try to start it. If there is in issue with the gear position sensor thinking of it's in gear and not park- this is one thing I've seen on other makes...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same problem on the 3rd week of having the car. The only way to get it to start was a boost to the battery. I had to take it to the 2 VW Service Centers. Niether of them could find what the problem was. When I went to pick it up, I recalled that leaving the hazard lights on for two minutes caused the car or the battery to die. So I left the hazard lights on for two minutes and that did the trick. They replaced the battery. However I still experience the car not cranking on the first try at times. More like 75% of the times I try to start it. I guess once I go for the first oil change I will mention it to them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have that problem once in a blue but it always starts on the secoond try...I always figured maybe I am just trying to start it to fast from the point I insert the key to the turn over...if that makes any sense :p

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
astormal said:
I had the same problem on the 3rd week of having the car. The only way to get it to start was a boost to the battery. I had to take it to the 2 VW Service Centers. Niether of them could find what the problem was. When I went to pick it up, I recalled that leaving the hazard lights on for two minutes caused the car or the battery to die. So I left the hazard lights on for two minutes and that did the trick. They replaced the battery. However I still experience the car not cranking on the first try at times. More like 75% of the times I try to start it. I guess once I go for the first oil change I will mention it to them.
Let us know what you find. Sounds like we have the same issue. But I do not have issues with running the battery down on low loading. Did the new battery take care of that part of your problem?

·
Registered
41 Posts
based on what you guys have been posting in my professional opinion it sounds like a definite fuel related issue, either the check valve has somehow let all the fuel out of the fuel rail and when you crank it over you must be just sticking the key in and turning it right away, not letting it go to the key on position for a second, thus allowing some fuel pressure to build up.... you said you left it in key on position for a few seconds and then it would start right up and you also said if you turn the key on and then power down and then try to start it again it ouwld start... this is 99% likely because the fuel rail has had a second to add some pressure back to it.... as to why some people are having more fuel drained from the rail over otehrs is unknown to me.... could be the build date of your car... post that if you have it guys so we can see if its a production issue or if its simply a fuel quality/user combination.... if you hear anything else specifically from the vw techs, post it and let me know please!!!... Dale

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.