Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 'new to me' 2006 GTI with 9k. I know I drive a bit fast, but the gauge seemed to be really way off. I brought it back, and it was. Like 12 mph off. So they reset it, but has anyone else had this issue/realize this? Is this a sign of bad times ahead?? :-[

I hope not, cause I love this car. So much zip.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I've also got this problem on my new 07. I realized the digital speed average in the computer is probably accurate, and the needle is off by quite a bit at higher speeds.
A dumb test I did was to drive a steady speed and then reset the speed average. In a few seconds it will begin updating again with the current average.
When the needle was steady at 80mph, my computer average said 72mph.

johnnygti, when you brought yours in, did this issue actually get fixed?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It appears as though the dealer fixed the issue. when i follow in the left lane, it reads about 60 like everyone else, and in the fast lane it reads around 68 like everyone else. he stated that a lot of the new GTI's have this issue, like some guy decided to program it incorrectly.
it was a free fix, and if you dont want to have to do quick, quarter-second math each time you pass a speed zone, get it fixed. ;D

·
Registered
121 Posts
I thought I had this problem when I followed my gf home one day. She was reading around 120 I was around 130. We ended up grabbing a GPS a testing out both of our cars, hers was reading 5-6 under her actual speed and mine was around 5 above my actual speed...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've always thought my '07 gti speedometer was a bit high. I have a hard time believing that 80 just moves with the rest of the traffic on the highway. I will definetely mention it when I take it in for service next time. I've also talked to someone who had a BMW M coupe, and his speedometer was off 8mph, & the dealership wouldn't fix it. He said he called corporate, and they said BMW did this on purpose because they had issues with speedometers being lower than actually and people getting tickets. So they purposely made them a few mph over your actual speed. I wonder if VW was trying to accomplish the same thing? BTW, I cannot believe a company like BMW couldn't resolve a simple speedometer issue. Surely, getting a more accurate and precise speedometer cannot cost too much, right?

·
Registered
749 Posts
You're right; it wouldn't cost too much to use more accurate and reliable speedometers, but it's even cheaper to use the ones they already have designed. The manufacturer is willing to accept a certain range of inaccuracy - say, an error of plus or minus 5%. However, an error of minus 5% can lead to problems with the fuzz so they purposely move the range up by that amount of error. So now their speedos are off anywhere from 0-10% above. All this with the average speedometer reading 5% above. That's why so many of us report close to the same amount of error.

If you can get enough people to say they'll never buy another VW again unless they get more acurrate, then we'd see some results. It doesn't bother me enough to not enjoy driving my GTI more than any other car I've owned.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
You're right; it wouldn't cost too much to use more accurate and reliable speedometers, but it's even cheaper to use the ones they already have designed. The manufacturer is willing to accept a certain range of inaccuracy - say, an error of plus or minus 5%. However, an error of minus 5% can lead to problems with the fuzz so they purposely move the range up by that amount of error. So now their speedos are off anywhere from 0-10% above. All this with the average speedometer reading 5% above. That's why so many of us report close to the same amount of error.

If you can get enough people to say they'll never buy another VW again unless they get more acurrate, then we'd see some results. It doesn't bother me enough to not enjoy driving my GTI more than any other car I've owned.
Damn...I couldn't have said it better!

Nice post

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
great job bluefrog

i agree
but i was in front of my wife and she has a citron c2 and we were doing 120kph by my speedometer and so was she. i was on cruse and i fell that at least my car is not that off, we were both doing 120kph

·
Registered
277 Posts
There is a TSB on this (90 07 03 May 24, 2007 #2012684).......it's a simple problem and a really easy fix....

Basically the european tire calibraion software is causing the speedometer to be off....

*shurgs shoulders*

So if you think yours is off, just call up ref this TSB # and have them do the fix......it's just a few steps with their software :p

·
Registered
342 Posts
johnnygti said:
I just picked up a 'new to me' 2006 GTI with 9k. I know I drive a bit fast, but the gauge seemed to be really way off. I brought it back, and it was. Like 12 mph off. So they reset it, but has anyone else had this issue/realize this? Is this a sign of bad times ahead?? :-[

I hope not, cause I love this car. So much zip.
Yep, we had a discussion on this about a year ago :) It seems that everyone has this problem. It kinda does suck, but you get used to it. If I want to know how fast I'm going, I use my GPS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
UPDATE.. 3 weeks after the fix, and it seems to be running just fine. right lane traffic - 60; left lane- 76. so the fix they did seems to be right on. i have not done a head to head with anyone to see if we match, but i am happy with what it reads now. O0

its a quick fix for them, and its one less math problem i have to do during my day. i got other things to worry about. ;D

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 07 suffers the same fate, brought it in today to get fixed and they said it'd already been done :eek:

I'm going to verify that the speedo is that far off this weekend with a GPS and then bring it to another dealer, I have a feeling I'm getting smoke blown up my ass.

·
Registered
277 Posts
GTIERDone said:
My 07 suffers the same fate, brought it in today to get fixed and they said it'd already been done :eek:

I'm going to verify that the speedo is that far off this weekend with a GPS and then bring it to another dealer, I have a feeling I'm getting smoke blown up my ass.
My boy's in the house, its gonna be great to have have you around O0 .......makes me wonder if my speedo is off too, I don't ever look at it >:D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.