Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my gti like 5 weeks ago and from day 1 the front top left door speaker has been rattling. I'm not sure if it's the actual speaker or the door itself. Either way it's very annoying considering I like to play my music loud. I'm bringing my car in to get the side bumper replaced (it came chipped) so I'm gonna ask the guy if he can do anything for me or if any of that stuff is under warranty. If I had to add dynamat or another speaker would that be a pain? I don't want to start taking my car apart for this one, but am willing to.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey Eddie, there's actually quite a few threads on this already if you search, but it's definitely a common problem. I think what most of us found is that it's the door. A few of us (including myself) have gone the route of installing an amp/ sub setup to the stock head-unit. I've found I can turn the bass incredibly low via the head unit, and still get deeper bass than stock, all while eliminating the annoying door buzz.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i also thought i had the same problem. the vibration that you think is coming from the doors actually comes from the small storage compartment where u keep your sunglasses, the little storage on the headliner next to the sunroof. it vibrates when u hit high bass. i remeber when it first happend, i thought i blew a speaker out but it was actually that instead

·
Registered
280 Posts
Actually, there's a ton of different places that vibrate. :-\ My sunglasses holder did, but the door (right underneath the alarm LED) also buzzed. I found if I pushed on it, it would fix it temporarily, but I just got fed up. That's my only major complaint with the GTI.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Eddie, there's actually quite a few threads on this already if you search, but it's definitely a common problem. I think what most of us found is that it's the door. A few of us (including myself) have gone the route of installing an amp/ sub setup to the stock head-unit. I've found I can turn the bass incredibly low via the head unit, and still get deeper bass than stock, all while eliminating the annoying door buzz.

Actually, there's a ton of different places that vibrate. :- My sunglasses holder did, but the door (right underneath the alarm LED) also buzzed. I found if I pushed on it, it would fix it temporarily, but I just got fed up. That's my only major complaint with the GTI.
I have the same vibration problem in the passenger door when I try to up the bass. Man was I pissed cuz I love to play my music loud. No matter what adjustment I made it would pop up and drive me nuts. I like the stock head unit with the 6 cd changer and its simplicity so I'm keeping it but I brought my GTI to the sound shop that had installed a nice setup in my old Ford truck and they said the best way to deal with it was to install a seperate 300 watt amp and two 8 inch subs next to the spare tire. He said that way I could just turn the bass off on the stock speakers and let them deal with the mid and treble ranges. He said that the GTI should be a bass factory due to its size and it being a hatchback. I'm wondering if I should go with more power and also put in a 2nd amp to feed the stock speakers. They said it wouldn't be necessary. Anyway my appointment is for Jan. 21st and I hope he's right and it works. I'll let you guys know. Any input you have before the 21st would be appreciated...... thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts