Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Ok so it seems several more people are staying at the house this year which is great! I'm starting this thread to keep a headcount so we can stay up to date on how many people are coming.

The house is about a 15-30 minute ride from the show in Helen, the house is in a town called Hiawassee, to get to the show you get to take a nice drive over Unicoi mountain:

Da Haus: 3 bedroom 2 bath, two large carpeted living areas with two full size couches, one leather chair w/big foot thing (probably sleep a small person), plenty of floor space for sleeping bags/cots. The house is on the side of a mountain, the road is single lane paved road (steep in some places) use lower gear and go slow, if you meet someone while you're coming up on the road you will have to back down to a driveway or wide spot in the road to pass.

Between the paved road and the paved driveway is about a 100 yd. gravel road that is flat, however if you are low you will probably scrape and it would be very wise to get me or someone else to meet you at the bottom of the mountain and bring you up, so you know which line to take, once on the gravel one of us can spot you.

The driveway near the house is paved and pretty wide, probably fit atleast 8-12 cars + gravel parking area.

List so far:
Me probably +1
Jeff and family (4)
Chris and Lauren
Clayton +1
Christina +1 (assuming crazy is the +1 here?)
Cullin

If you are going PM me your phone # if I don't already have it and I'll PM you mine so we can keep everyone updated.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Perfect, thanks for the thread man. I really don't care where I sleep, I could even pitch a tent outside if need be considering how nice and warm it'll be!
Word, I got a hammock and tarp setup and a tent

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Ooh, a hammock is an awesome idea! Noted. I'll definitely be bringing that.
Yeah, I prefer a hammock for my hiking/camping needs! It's the bomb.com

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tents and hammocks are welcome for sure, we have plenty of flat areas in the yard to setup and trees to hook off to. I think we will setup a BBQ this year like jeff suggested. Not sure on the beds, Jeff and fam will have one room, I'll be in the other with mine and the third is open but it's kinda just been whoever wants it in the past, usually we like to keep the bed for a couple but it's informal, whoever wants it can have it.

If anyone has a hookup on some cots or the like let me know.

for those who want to go we will make the hike up the mountain again this year, the view from the top is way worth it!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Yeah, I prefer a hammock for my hiking/camping needs! It's the bomb.com
Yessir, I accompanied my mother to a craft fair two summers ago and they had a tent with hammocks made of parachute material. It's awesome, but a lot of the time in Colorado it either gets too cold at night, or you literally have manbearmoosecoon's swarming all night. I don't foresee that problem in GA!

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Tents and hammocks are welcome for sure, we have plenty of flat areas in the yard to setup and trees to hook off to. I think we will setup a BBQ this year like jeff suggested. Not sure on the beds, Jeff and fam will have one room, I'll be in the other with mine and the third is open but it's kinda just been whoever wants it in the past, usually we like to keep the bed for a couple but it's informal, whoever wants it can have it.

If anyone has a hookup on some cots or the like let me know.

for those who want to go we will make the hike up the mountain again this year, the view from the top is way worth it!
Sign me up for a bed with Christina and the hike up the mountain!

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Yessir, I accompanied my mother to a craft fair two summers ago and they had a tent with hammocks made of parachute material. It's awesome, but a lot of the time in Colorado it either gets too cold at night, or you literally have manbearmoosecoon's swarming all night. I don't foresee that problem in GA!
You need an underquilt with a hammock! Be prepared brodude!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You need an underquilt with a hammock! Be prepared brodude!
Yeah, I just usually throw my sleeping bag in the hammock with me which insulates up to -60F, but theres something about laying in a hammock with nothing else thats just so free and open. Being prepared is an essential in Colorado doodman! lol

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Yeah, I just usually throw my sleeping bag in the hammock with me which insulates up to -60F, but theres something about laying in a hammock with nothing else thats just so free and open. Being prepared is an essential in Colorado doodman! lol
Laying on top of a sleeping bag in a hammock is pointless. It crushes the insulation and completely destroys the R value. You need an underquilt dude! You lose none of the hammock comfort and get massive warmth!

·
Premium Member
8,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sign me up for a bed with Christina and the hike up the mountain!
Good to go

I do this in the winter, sleeping bag inside the hammock, usually hang it low to the ground behind a wind break of some kind. It should be warm by that time though. We have black bears but they are not really anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Good to go

I do this in the winter, sleeping bag inside the hammock, usually hang it low to the ground behind a wind break of some kind. It should be warm by that time though. We have black bears but they are not really anything to worry about.
How cold does it get in Georgia?

Laying on top of a sleeping bag in a hammock is pointless. It crushes the insulation and completely destroys the R value. You need an underquilt dude! You lose none of the hammock comfort and get massive warmth!
Lol, I don't lay on top of it, I lay in it! How much are underquilts anyway?

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
How cold does it get in Georgia?

Lol, I don't lay on top of it, I lay in it! How much are underquilts anyway?
Dude, you lay on top of the bottom layer. Quit effin with me. Lol. Depends on the temp rating. Check out hammockgear.com

I know what I'm doing when it comes to camping with hammocks and tents

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Dude, you lay on top of the bottom layer. Quit effin with me. Lol. Depends on the temp rating. Check out hammockgear.com

I know what I'm doing when it comes to camping with hammocks and tents
Ha ha this was a funny conversation. I don't think I'll need it down in GA, do you? If I were to get one of those, it would probably have to be the Incubator 0 rated one so it will be useful in CO and I gotta pay for dat bumper yo! Funds deprivation!

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
I
I
Ha ha this was a funny conversation. I don't think I'll need it down in GA, do you? If I were to get one of those, it would probably have to be the Incubator 0 rated one so it will be useful in CO and I gotta pay for dat bumper yo! Funds deprivation!
I don't know what the temps will be.

Justin said I got a bed. I'll bring my 0* incubator and you can use it if you want. I also have a 40* top quilt and you can use that if you want, girly man. Hahaha.

Edit: they both have 2oz of 900 fill down over stuff. That's all you'll need to stay way more than warm. Trust me

1 - 20 of 133 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.