Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know everyones gonna tell me to search and that the info is in the forum..well it isnt and im not about to look for parts of an answer over 40 different boards. ok. can some one explain to me (and everyone) clearly and straight up how REVO chips effect the engine. i heard that it causes too much air or something, and ruins the engine. also, what are the detailed differences between APR and REVO. try to cut he fat around all answers, cause this forum isnt helping me out too much. i dont need "IMHO"..im not asking for opinions and could care less...just facts. thanks

>:D

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
hypnotica003 said:
ok i know everyones gonna tell me to search and that the info is in the forum..well it isnt and im not about to look for parts of an answer over 40 different boards. ok. can some one explain to me (and everyone) clearly and straight up how REVO chips effect the engine. i heard that it causes too much air or something, and ruins the engine. also, what are the detailed differences between APR and REVO. try to cut he fat around all answers, cause this forum isnt helping me out too much. i dont need "IMHO"..im not asking for opinions and could care less...just facts. thanks

Fact: According to VW Engineers any change not made by VW to the ECU/Engine Management System Software can ruin the engine.

Fact: I ran REVO stage II and had fuel starvation issues/ low fuel pressure at WOT, so I went back to Stage I.

Fact: Now from browsing over 40 different boards I've heard more people badmouth GIAC, but that was just their opinions.

We just stick to the facts ma'am...

·
Registered
635 Posts
actually that is in the forums.....search is always the first thing you should do..instead of wasting dragon's time lol

·
Registered
842 Posts
hypnotica003 said:

FACT: This post reads "I am lazy". You will get way more help if you bring something to the table.

·
Registered
530 Posts
uncle dude said:
hypnotica003 said:

FACT: This post reads "I am lazy". You will get way more help if you bring something to the table.
[clap] [shizzle]

·
Registered
635 Posts
yeah sounds like a dick move to me...if your too lazy to use search hypnotica...then there are other places to go...maybe ask special ed...they'll accept you in a heartbeat

·
Registered
952 Posts
Hey guys, Let's just help him out and get on with the day. ;) [help]

Remember, we were all newbies once too.
ff

ps. We should be a little bit nicer to the new guys, The more members we get the better chance I have at getting us some cool stuff going on. I agree that search is important, but sometimes, it won't give you all the answers.

I know, I've been trying to fix the forum's page glitch for a while now, and all I keep getting is "don't be lazy, use search" lol It has now been a long time, and finally they figured out they there wasn't a solution.
ff

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
You sound like me Freddie.

I find it hard to believe that hypnotica can't find information though. I'm almost sure there are lots of things in this forum.

·
Registered
530 Posts
hypnotica003 said:

Okay, best I can tell, no one has any bad experiences with ruined engines from REVO, GIAC APR. What the software really does to make more power, no one really knows how, otherwise they would do it without buying the software, but the most obvious is the software allows for more boost and more fuel. The software also removes the speed limiter and raises the rev limiter of the engine. Of all the different people here that have use this type of software, Dragon is the only one that I know of that has reported any type of problem at all, and that was alleged by REVO that it is a fuel pump problem because of an older fuel pump design. Bottom line is there is no proof of how harmful or safe any of these programs are.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
kylmos said:
yeah sounds like a dick move to me...if your too lazy to use search hypnotica...then there are other places to go...maybe ask special ed...they'll accept you in a heartbeat
so go ahead and find the infro for me...i wouldnt have posted this if it was already on the forums and i had seen it no? and about the special ed...you know what they say about insulting and fighting online...its like the special olympics, even if you win or lose, your still retarded. so do us both a favor and shut your mouth. thanks

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
hypnotica003 said:
kylmos said:
so go ahead and find the infro for me...i wouldnt have posted this if it was already on the forums and i had seen it no? and about the special ed...you know what they say about insulting and fighting online...its like the special olympics, even if you win or lose, your still retarded. so do us both a favor and shut your mouth. thanks
Play nice gentleman or the thread is gonna get locked^^^

Back on topic:

As far as how the software works, basically the chosen vendor is modifying your engine mapping (a/f mixture/timing/boost) at certain levels of RPMs. Now, keep in mind the stock program is designed for efficiency, both fuel and emissions, where as the aftermarket software vendors are mapping for power results. Each different vendor has their own tweaks on the tuning of each car. Revo makes a plugin device that even lets you make fine tuning adjustments via a laptop (particularly useful if you are actually going to dyno tune a car.)

Also VW assumes everyone has 91 octane, and the change to the mappings can make more power when using 93 octane pump gas.

·
Registered
635 Posts
hypnotica what more information are you looking for if you searched for it you would get the same answers as what your getting now...alot of members with REVO have blown their fuel pumps due to surging issues maybe you should search for that SEARCH THE WORD SURGING or search for the word REVO you'll get what you need you'll need a better fuel pump and they are almost done making us some good ones so if you want info on that search FUEL PUMPS next time just pu a little more effort and you'll get some respect you didnt get any b/c every post we have posted to you, you felt like being a dick so take some medication chill out stop being lazy think a little bit on what your needing to search HINT: I caps the ones you need to look for and just be nicer to our members

sorry dragon for being rude to the guy just dont like people being like that to the GTI community here

I would personally get GIAC or APR myself..lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what dont you get that i DID look it up and didnt find what i was looking for? i found pieces of information spread out in all different topics, so i wanted to post 1 topic with the facts straight instead of people repeating answers that are vague. fact is im going either revo or apr, and i just wanted hard facts about how revo can fuck up the engine so i can make my decision. so far i seem to be getting a little more info thanks to dragon... O0

and about respecting your "community" how about you think about that next time you tell some one to go to special ed. if wanted information to help my car makes retarded, then i guess i am :) and this better be the last time i read a post like that from you cause this isnt the place for it.

so what im getting at is...basically if i want just a chip revo is the way to go for performance, but if i want to upgrade to stage 2 and 3 then go with apr? (i heard many people say they have many problems with revo stage 2)

·
Registered
635 Posts
lol what are you going to do? just get APR or wait till a better fuelpump comes out then get REVO its that simple there wasnt even a need to start a thread on this next time use your head read through the information not just skim through it or send someone a PM thats all you had to do and dragon said the same information you would have found in the first items you should have searched for..its all basic information there isnt anything hard to understand hypnotica..way to go artard

·
Registered
137 Posts
kylmos said:
lol what are you going to do? just get APR or wait till a better fuelpump comes out then get REVO its that simple there wasnt even a need to start a thread on this next time use your head read through the information not just skim through it or send someone a PM thats all you had to do and dragon said the same information you would have found in the first items you should have searched for..its all basic information there isnt anything hard to understand hypnotica..way to go artard
Layoff him a little bit. He said he couldn't Find SOLID INFORMATION on other threads so he wanted to get it in hard facts. Don't down him for just asking a question.
I am not sure what exactly each chip diifers in but from what i have read here and this forum and others, I would NOT get the REVO chip. One guy said his turbo blew out at 10,000miles after chipping. It cost him something like $2200 to replace it. But like Dragon said: all chips do is modify your ECU's parameters such as Air/Fuel Ratio, Boost levels, timing, etc. Just remeber one thing though, more power and boost means more heat and wear and more things will fail faster. Especially small parts like oxygen sensors and even spark splugs.
:WELCOME6:
P.S. All of you putting words in others mouths like "stop wasting Dragon's time" should stop because it is His aka Dragon's, time if he chooses to respond to a post and he can say what he wants.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
hypnotica003 said:
so what im getting at is...basically if i want just a chip revo is the way to go for performance, but if i want to upgrade to stage 2 and 3 then go with apr? (i heard many people say they have many problems with revo stage 2)
I think (now this is opinion mind you ;)) APR has a better upgrade path if your goal is a big turbo-kit. However, their fuel pump solution alone, at the time of this writing, is around a grand :D.

The upgrade from stageI to stageII on the Revo was a $50 upgrade (after meeting the hardware upgrade criteria). So yeah, I miss stage II :'(, but nothing scares the crap outta ya like going to pass a big rig at WOT and have the engine starve on you. Since going back to Stage I- 0 issues. However if I wanna get busy with the REVO Select controller, I probably could come up with a Stage 1.75 ;D map.

Once again with opinion, if you do modify the the engine management software, up your maintenance schedule and keep an eye on oil (and other fluids) levels religiously. I plan on dumping my oil and filter every 5K. The more stress you put on the engine, the shorter it's lifespan. Look at how long a motor lasts in a top fuel dragster- if they tuned it down a few hundred HP- it would last a few more runs. The Lola we have as a "company" car uses an AER motor from the UK, and it puts out around 800 HP with twin Garrett turbos at 7PSI of boost. The motor has the capability to put out over 1k HP, but it's detuned for endurance racing and runs on ethanol.

Hope that helps you a bit with your decision O0

1 - 20 of 21 Posts