Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm driving a 2001 GTI 1.8t with 105,000. Car drives very well after I changed the coil pack and plugs. The problem I'm having is when I startup my car to let it warm up (doesn't matter if it's cold or hot outside) it starts to smoke out of the exhaust. There is large amount of smoke and when I press on the gas, big puff cloud comes out. I know it's not a head crack because the smoke is bluish and doesn't smell sweet. Someone told me it could be something with the turbo. It doesn't do this when I'm driving down the road. It stops as soon as I get in third gear or so. Please help. I am losing around a quart of oil every few weeks.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Here is a video of a mazda 3 with a bad turbo:

And here is an article on blue smoke in the exhaust. Though, it may be useless to you depending on your mechanical knowledge:
http://autoleak.com/Oil/Blue-Smoke-From-Exhaust.php

I know that doesn't directly answer your question,but I hope it helps. Also, is there any other info you have regarding your issue? Is your car throwing any codes. And, is there any chance you could post a video? I'm sure that would help the more knowledge members diagnos your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read the article about leaks. According to the article, it looks like I have something wrong with my valves and not the turbo, because it only smokes at startup when the car has been sitting for a little while. But it may be more than that because when I press the gas a cloud comes out as well. So it may be a problem with both. Today when I get off work I will post a video and get you a better idea. Also, how much does a valve steam repair or valve guide repair cost?

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
have you changed you PCVs

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the car 6 months ago and I don't know what he did to it. How can I tell if the PCV is replaced. Also, I took the car to a guy the other day and he said that it sounds like a valve stem problem. He quoted me almost 600 USD to repair.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I bought the car 6 months ago and I don't know what he did to it. How can I tell if the PCV is replaced. Also, I took the car to a guy the other day and he said that it sounds like a valve stem problem. He quoted me almost 600 USD to repair.
Valve stem problem? did he elaborate?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts