Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If a turbo wasn't connected how long would a 01 GTI 1.8T take to get to 60mph?

A little background:
I just got a 2001 GTI 1.8T. from a guy on craigslist, It's my first VW and I was kind of excited to hear these things were kind of fast...I was just looking for a 4 cylinder to get me back and forth to work...but I figured something was wrong when I got passed by a Smartcar in reverse...then a kid on a 10 speed beat me from 0-60...so I started to suspect something...anyways...

I've only driven it for a day or so but I tried to time a 0-60 to get a benchmark and I would say its between 18-22 seconds...looking online I have seen 7-8 seconds as norm?

The previous owner said he replaced these parts: "It has new nkg spark plugs the good ones $60 for 4 of them, new mass air flow sensor it was $180, brand new coil packs and coil pack harness this is a common problem with vws that are turbo the crack and I put in a new one, new timing belt and water pump, new fuel filter also.."...(I'm thinking he knew something was up and tried to replace all these things to fix it...) anyways...

I hear the hiss of the turbo when I drive but I have no idea how to test if its working or if there is a leak..but even if there was a leak or it was not working would the performance be that bad?...

The CEL just came on and the code is P0411...I did some research and found it to be the secondary air injection system...But again..would the car be the slow with a vacuum leak or even if the turbo wasn't working?

I did notice some writing on the engine..I am going to assume it was recently replaced... Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
The car is meant for a turbo, if the turbo was completely shot the car wouldn't run. A boost leak would cause a loss in horsepower but not necessarily make it run badly. Cant give you %100.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I am not sure where to even start here. Almost any car on the road including a smartCar/Pruis/Yaris/Civic you name it, should have a 0-60 faster then that.

The usual 0-60 or gti's are around 7-8 even if you miss a shift 9 or so. But 18-22 is sounds unbelievable able seeing as you should only have 2 maybe 3 gears at redline.

Your car maybe in limp mode and that would be my best guess. But It still would not run that slow. Or at least it should not. I would start looking in the engine for broken or torn lines anywhere. A leak that bad would stall the car I would assume.

good luck

·
Premium Member
12,563 Posts
Get a boost gauge. P0411 is a typical issue and would not cause a loss in performance.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The car is meant for a turbo, if the turbo was completely shot the car wouldn't run. A boost leak would cause a loss in horsepower but not necessarily make it run badly. Cant give you %100.
uhh... false.... my car ran for a few miles with blown intercooler piping on the highway... same thing as not having the turbo connected

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
This has to be another troll from golfmkvi. There's practically no car on the planet that slow.
hahahhaha I really thought so too. But didn't want to sound rude.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
OP, you didn't drive this POS before you bought it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did drive it, It seemed to drive ok, it didn't hesitate and I could hear the turbo so I just assumed it was a slow 4 cylinder that people like to call fast...haha. I just had nothing to compare it to other than cars I have driven i.e. nissan versa, toyota yaris..etc... Also the owner was in the car so I didn't test 0-60 then...

Just an update.
I took it to a VW mechanic and we test drove it together and he said immediately that my turbo had a leak, (thats why I could hear it so clearly) and that would explain the lack of power...getting it fixed now, will update you guys to see if there is any change after.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update 2:
Replaced the Turbo Inlet Hose and this runs like a different car. 0-60 is now at 8.5 seconds in my automatic transmission...(clocked with my iphone) This thing is much more fun to drive now. Now discovered 4 new codes..will do some searching on them..
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I did drive it, It seemed to drive ok, it didn't hesitate and I could hear the turbo so I just assumed it was a slow 4 cylinder that people like to call fast...haha. I just had nothing to compare it to other than cars I have driven i.e. nissan versa, toyota yaris..etc... Also the owner was in the car so I didn't test 0-60 then...

Just an update.
I took it to a VW mechanic and we test drove it together and he said immediately that my turbo had a leak, (thats why I could hear it so clearly) and that would explain the lack of power...getting it fixed now, will update you guys to see if there is any change after.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Update 2:
Replaced the Turbo Inlet Hose and this runs like a different car. 0-60 is now at 8.5 seconds in my automatic transmission...(clocked with my iphone) This thing is much more fun to drive now. Now discovered 4 new codes..will do some searching on them..
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.