Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
That salesman was a douchebag for sure, but pretty much EVERY article I've read on the new SI says it's a good car. It's just a totally different style of car and for some people, they like it more. A VVT car can be fun, but I'm really liking the torque that goes along with my GTI and not feeling like I'm dogging the car when I get on the freeway. Oh yeah, and on the track, the SI usually pulls a slightly better time because of it's LSD. Most reviews seem to like the upscale interior, functionality, and refinement of the GTI and that's what tends to sell the car above the Honda, not the performance.

· Registered
18 Posts
I drove both and liked the GTI more, and yea the SI you have to have around 6000rpm to get any power.

As for crazy salesmen, I was test driving a Mustang GT and the salesman had us take it up to about 120. Right around that time we pass a cop and the salesman was like don't worry--the cops never bother my customers on test drives--sure enough the cop didn't mess with us. But man that Mustang GT was like driving a schoolbus with a flat tire compared to this GTI.

· Registered
4 Posts
As the owner of a Civic, I am glad to share no one is missing out!
I am on my way to the VW dealership as I type this, getting ready to jump into a GTI.
Don't get me wrong, the Civic is a great car, if you like Hondas. But its boring, and when I say boring, I mean boring. It has a little soul above 6000rpm, but nothing sing about. Thats why I need a GTI, I need a little soul, and something to sing about.

· Registered
1,628 Posts
GTEYE said:
I am on my way to the VW dealership as I type this, getting ready to jump into a GTI.
Don't get me wrong, the Civic is a great car, if you like Hondas. But its boring, and when I say boring, I mean boring. It has a little soul above 6000rpm, but nothing sing about. Thats why I need a GTI, I need a little soul, and something to sing about.
haha. and thats coming from a civic owner ;D
V-DUB > HONDA

· Registered
148 Posts
GTEYE said:
Are you a Civic Si owner? Or a regular Civic owner?

The Civic Si is a great car, but it caters to a different audience that the GTI does. Sorry you had to buy the wrong car in the first place. Let us know how it goes.

· Registered
28 Posts
Man I had a 2000 honda civic hatchback (not SI....no vtec) and wow u wanna talk about boring?? The interior all grey just grey thats it, and pretty much no power, no soul, no character, the only good thing i could say about my honda is that it handled good, but then again I had a full Eibach suspension kit.....Now that I got the GTI, Holy Crap I've been missing out big time. If I wanted to race someone, I could actually win now (no more Ford Windstars beating me.......man is that embarrasing)!!! And It has everything I had to buy aftermarket for my honda is already on the GTI. Couldn't be happier......cheers ;D

· Registered
7 Posts
I'm a former Civic Si driver.

Strangely enough, a German car has more soul, more feeling and I've simply become attached to my GTi.

It's that je ne sais quois that we hear so much about. Although, I'm quite sure it has something to do with being so substantial next to the Honda. My GTi could never be described as "tinny."

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.