Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
What's a gonzo stage 2 tune? I think the one in Sturbridge looks sharper, and wood flooring in the "entertainment area"! Have you driven either one?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's a gonzo stage 2 tune? I think the one in Sturbridge looks sharper, and wood flooring in the "entertainment area"! Have you driven either one?
It's a stage 2 tune. He replaced the turbo also. He warned me about how fast it was hahaha. I'm just scared from the 145k even though he said it would run strong for another 100k.. I just found them today so I haven't driven either. I like the one I'm Sturbridge also but it has a rebuilt title which also scares me. The owner said it was hit in the rear and fixed properly. I'm not sure..

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am in ct also, not far from the first one. It looks like a clean car, but it does have 145k on it. Also, I am not sure what gonzo stage 2 is, it must be a tune just never heard of it. I would steer clear of the second one for a few reasons. If you want to register in ct, any out of state vehicle must go through inspection, and the salvage title could cause some headaches with inspection. If you are up to that you should probably go with the second one, I personally wouldn't want to. If you didn't know I think it is a vr6, judging from the 6 speed, and the digital display on the dash. But the first one does look clean and it will be easier the register.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think the 1.8 would last a decent amount of time, I need a reliable daily driver. But I would baby the hell out of it. What's wrong with the vr6? I wouldn't mind going through the headaches

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Worcester looks nice, just depends how the repairs were done. Drive them both and see which one feels better. You may like one much more then the other and not care about the mile, or the rebuilt title. They both look like very clean cars, and it looks like the new haven car is a 20th ae. unless he changed the gauge cluster, someone else correct me if I am wrong please.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am in ct also, not far from the first one. It looks like a clean car, but it does have 145k on it. Also, I am not sure what gonzo stage 2 is, it must be a tune just never heard of it. I would steer clear of the second one for a few reasons. If you want to register in ct, any out of state vehicle must go through inspection, and the salvage title could cause some headaches with inspection. If you are up to that you should probably go with the second one, I personally wouldn't want to. If you didn't know I think it is a vr6, judging from the 6 speed, and the digital display on the dash. But the first one does look clean and it will be easier the register.
Do you think the 1.8 would last a decent amount of time, I need a reliable daily driver. But I would baby the hell out of it. What's wrong with the vr6? I wouldn't mind going through the headaches

·
Registered
75 Posts
Seems like nothing is wrong with the vr6, if it was repaired properly it would be a very nice car. I personally don't have any experience with the vr6 engine so I don't know if they have weak points to look out for. I am sure a quick search of the forum would tell you everything you need to know and more. And the 145k is a lot of miles, but if it was maintained properly it really should not be an issue.

You need to see both cars in person for yourself. Drive them both and see which one calls to you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Worcester looks nice, just depends how the repairs were done. Drive them both and see which one feels better. You may like one much more then the other and not care about the mile, or the rebuilt title. They both look like very clean cars, and it looks like the new haven car is a 20th ae. unless he changed the gauge cluster, someone else correct me if I am wrong please.
He changed the gauge cluster it is not a 20ae. Has the r32 rims and 20ae trim. Do you think it would be a good daily driver?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My Car personally have 149k on it, I purchased it with 147k. And yes I was really nervous putting $3700 into a car with that many miles, but really the car runs like a champ. If the owner before you took care of the car. It should run fine. The only problems i had with my car were non engine related. Just drive it and see how it feels.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Car personally have 149k on it, I purchased it with 147k. And yes I was really nervous putting $3700 into a car with that many miles, but really the car runs like a champ. If the owner before you took care of the car. It should run fine. The only problems i had with my car were non engine related. Just drive it and see how it feels.
What non engine problems should I expect to run into? I really do not want to keep putting money into this car. That's why i might just spend the extra money and buy the vr6 with 86k.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
What non engine problems should I expect to run into? I really do not want to keep putting money into this car. That's why i might just spend the extra money and buy the vr6 with 86k.
wheel bearings, tie-rods, and other suspension parts. Beyond that engine maintenance is what really needs to be watched. Suspension usually needs focus around 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Really the only problems I have had are close to none. The Engine is vibrating loudly around lower rpms. Which is a simple Motor mount. and I have a very small coolant leak. Both are pretty cheap and easy fixs. Other then this. I have had not one single problem.
One thing to keep in mind, all cars have their problems, you will always need to put money into a car. (Unless covered under warranty) but just keep in mind. Cars are always going to have problems. Some more then others. But really the amount of problems relays on the previos person who has drivin the car. and if they maintained it professionally, or if they used duct tape. (Duct tape works for everything) hahah

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Alright thanks everyone. I have decided to try my best to find a gti with under 100k. Especially if I'm spending over 5k. The search continues...reply with any ads that you come across. Any help would be nice since I've been looking forever, I want to own one of these things already!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.