Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into getting a short shifter but I have not talked to anyone that has one in their car. Can anyone tell me if they are worth getting and also where I can buy one?

·
Registered
963 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks Ya I have a 2011 GTI

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
::Geeks::

That's my thread. ^_^ Heyyo! Welcome. Like Kenny said, fasted shift is by the person driving. If you're looking to have a more sport tuned feel to the shifts then the short shifter mechanisms may be what you're looking for. If the distance of throws and feel of the linkage is what your after, how much do you want to change the feel? Alot of shifters will make percentage claims. The higher the percentage, the shorter the distance between gears will feel. A short shifter STALK is alot different than a Short Shifter. In our VW's, the more common mod is the Short Shifter. It is the actual mechanism on the top of the transmission that pulls and pushed the gearset inside. On the other had is the more common among all cars Short Shifter Stalk. It's mainly a shorter stick to assist with the quicker throws between STOCK SPACED gearing. The stick doesn't reduce the shift speed much at all. It feels nicer closer to the center console though. ^_^

I'll be hacking my stick down in the next couple days. Keep posted for a DIY on "How to make the OEM Shifter Stalk a Short Shifter Stalk"

-Roo

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Ok thanks Ya I have a 2011 GTI
If that is a DSG auto shift then you'll have to get programming to make quicker shifts. There is no actual mechanism to swap out on those beasts.

·
Registered
963 Posts
well congratz on the 2011 they look sexy as hell IMO...is it dsg or straight up manual?? imo instead of spending 100 or so bucks on a short shifter that wont get you much... why dont you look into saving up your money and buying APR stage 1, unless you have the money and buy an intake and a Dp and go stage 2.

http://www.goapr.com/products/?vehicle=Golf_MKVI

thats the best to do if you want performance.

Or Unitronics, GIAC, REVO.... whatever is closer to you

·
Registered
256 Posts
i actually really like my short shifter... if nothing else, it's the feel i was going for... and got. i also think it helps a bit in shifting to be honest. yeah, the more you practice the better you get, but i can say the same thing about the short shifter... the more practice you have the better you get. i think with the actual short shift it eliminates some of the error that you can get with the stock shifter. it really is all about opinions, but mine is i love it and do not regret it at all, especially how easy it is to install. it's something that if it takes you more than 15 minutes you're doing something wrong. i got mine through 20squared.com, but you might be able to find one cheaper somewhere out there...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a stright up manual and I ordered APR exhuast the APR stage 1 and 2 intake. They dont have the ECU chip tunning out yet so I am looking for other things to do.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
kk then you have big wallet... by the way you could have gone with a different company for the intake and exhaust and saved your self some money. Apr names jacks up the price
True, but consistancy in performance has a price.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yea alot if things are like that. I have a tight budget since I don't have a real job and what I do isn't consistant enough for all the stuff I want to buy so I make the most of what I have. Plus as a full time student I need my pennies

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.