Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first car i have bought from a dealership. Im going to buy my GTI in about 2 weeks. We have 2 VW dealers near here...about 30 min apart.

how exactly do you haggle between 2 dealerships. One has been really nice to me...the other hasn't showed much interest but both are good dealers from what I hear. How do you get the best price? I would hate to be an ass to the salesman that has been awesome, but i want to get the most car I can with my money. I test drove at both dealers and I've talked to both sales managers. whats do I do?

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
lumpypumpkin said:
This is the first car i have bought from a dealership. Im going to buy my GTI in about 2 weeks. We have 2 VW dealers near here...about 30 min apart.

how exactly do you haggle between 2 dealerships. One has been really nice to me...the other hasn't showed much interest but both are good dealers from what I hear. How do you get the best price? I would hate to be an ass to the salesman that has been awesome, but i want to get the most car I can with my money. I test drove at both dealers and I've talked to both sales managers. whats do I do?
Go here and get an online quote: http://www.cars.com/go/index.jsp

Go to the dealer you don't like- get the out the door price.

Go to the dealer you like- get their out the door price.

Negotiate from there...

·
Registered
842 Posts
^^ Play them off each other.

We went to two dealers as well, one was nice and the other indifferent:

• Nice guy gave a great test drive and said that the cars sell at sticker price (i.e. no room to move). He changed his tune shortly after we told him other dealership will haggle. We asked for some information from him about the dealership and we had a few other general questions. He said he would get back to us shortly. He knew we would be buying within a month.
  • Indifferent guy gave an indifferent test drive. He gave us his 'best price' without much prodding, and we felt it was a pretty aggressive price. We also get our current Golf serviced there, and we like them in general.
  • Time to buy a month later. We have not heard from nice guy, so we went to indifferent guy and got a few more hundred bucks off the price - they were accommodating and we felt we did okay, and we like the dealership. Done deal.
  • Prologue, nice guy phoned me last night and asked if I was still interested in a GTI - note this is 3 months later. I said that we definitely were, and can't wait to get it from the other dealership. He was surprised, but I reminded him that we hadn't heard back from him and we weren't going to chase him so he could sell us a car - man that felt good.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Also- the last week of a month is the best time to negotiate- they are more likely to make a deal. That way, the salesperson hits their quota/numbers and get their bonus.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Good point Dragon, that's how we did it and after we settled on the price, they told us up front that we got a good deal because it was the end of the month.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the advice. looks like I will be going at the end of this month. I was hoping to wait it out to get a 2007 for cheap when the 2008's come out...but i'm tired of waiting.

so ....do you tell the dealerships that you will be pitting them against eachother upfront, or do yo just act like you are driving off the lot until he gives you the price, and then leave? (i hope that makes sense)

I know if i have to wait on an option, my chances of getting a deal fade away. i know it is better to pull of the dealer's lot instead of having them ship one in but...

Do they have the VW body kit at the dealer and install it there, or will I have to wait for that? I want the kit, but i dont want to ruin my chances at a good deal

thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
lumpypumpkin said:
thanks for the advice. looks like I will be going at the end of this month. I was hoping to wait it out to get a 2007 for cheap when the 2008's come out...but i'm tired of waiting.

so ....do you tell the dealerships that you will be pitting them against eachother upfront, or do yo just act like you are driving off the lot until he gives you the price, and then leave? (i hope that makes sense)

I know if i have to wait on an option, my chances of getting a deal fade away. i know it is better to pull of the dealer's lot instead of having them ship one in but...

Do they have the VW body kit at the dealer and install it there, or will I have to wait for that? I want the kit, but i dont want to ruin my chances at a good deal

thanks for the help
You have to be able to walk away when the time is right...

Just say that you have been to other dealerships and the best price you found is X dollars, what can you guys do for me? (Don't come up with a BS figure, the salesman will know when he is having smoke blown up his ass, and some stealerships and their sales teams do talk with each other.)

Remember- you can also have them throw stuff in to sweeten the sale- like a set of monster mats.

Be aware of Mr. Otis, he's the elevator man, the guy who makes the price go up, also known as the sales manager, who likes to get you to buy the "diamond finish" ,"rust protection package" and LoJack.
-Skip the dealerships crummy $2-500 wax job and take the car with the plastic still on it (and drive it home like that and take it off yourself). Spend $100 on a Zaino wax kit w/ the money you saved.
-Rust protection: That's up to you, depending where you live and if the roads are salted and sanded in the winter. VW does have a good anti-corrosion warranty.
-If you plan on modding the car- do consider the LoJack
-If they put a dealership badge on the back- have them remove it.

They could have a ground effects kit in stock, but I wouldn't bet on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
At the dealership I went to (outside of Chicago), they had Seven GTIs on the lot. Four of them had the VW ground effects kit already on them as part of the package. So at some locations, it's pretty easy to find them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.