Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know how to remove the manual shift knob? I live were the sun shines most days and if the sun hits my factory metal (tiny bit of leather) knob it gets too hot to use. I've had a burn on my palm before that was an inverted 6-speed pattern :mad: NOT FUN or FAST. HHHHHEEEELLLLPPPP!
Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks everybody.

BTW it is an 07 manual GTI pkg. 1 candy white no other mods except window tint. And I average 29mpg ;D .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention I did try to unscrew it (to the left) it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to break something by trying too hard but I will try again tonight when I get home.

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other ideas? I tried to unscrew it again, it will not budge. I'm not a 250lb weakling so I know it is not me. The sun is shining and my gear knob is getting hot I just know it. Can't wait to drive home after work using my finger tips to shift gears :'( . Come on guys and gals there has to be a different approah than just unscrewing it.
Thanks
Ricky

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had a guy at work try to unscrew it it wouldn't budge. He suggested taking off the boot and checking for retaining screws under there.
We'll see.
Getting Frustrated with my Fast.
But as soon as I feel the boost kick in and the tourge I'll be better.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I had the same problem with my hand getting burned. Bought the pimped out Indecator shift knob and should be installing it in about a month.

Here is the PROPER way to take off the shift knob

http://www.pimpmyauto.com/gti/docs/ShiftKnobMod.doc

I looked pretty hard to find it too. Almost broke my wrist trying to unscrew it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't have a new boot Just the knob! There all one piece........That SUCKS!!!! Guess I'l go ghetto and wrap my factory shift knob in some leather scraps and get used to it.
Anybody have a hot glue gun I can borrow :D .

·
Registered
94 Posts
Dude, Theres an EASY trick to this.

I also have the 6 speed manual, i keep a towel in the car and when i park i put the towel over the stick.

works wonders.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 GTI and I've been reading everyone's response about it. So all I need to do is pop the boot off and there should be a clip to release and the knob pops off? Ok, I've bought a MOMO knob. That has like 3 allen screws is this gonna fit or do I have to but that goofy looking golf ball knob from VW? Is there a step by step page with pictures that shows you how to do it?
Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
416 Posts
Anybody know a good site for an OEM boot and knob combo For an 2003 MKIV?
im sure you can find an oem on vortex or ecs, but check out: tmtuning.com

go to their section on shift/ebrake they have a lot of interesting ones

·
Registered
162 Posts
although they look gay you could always just get on of the windsheild sun reflectors

1 - 14 of 14 Posts