My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm at 4700 miles and called my dealership about the 5K service.. When I bought the car the sales guy told me the first service was $60.. ok, that's not bad. I call to make my appointment this past week and I'm told it's around $65ish.. I press the person for an exact price and she comes back after a long hold and tells me $84. I had to reschedule my appointment and I re-verified the price with the person on the desk at the time.. $106!!!!! What the crap?!? Every time I call the price goes up. I called another dealer in the area from a different owner and I got the same $106 price. One of the reasons I went with VW was the service was supposedly cheaper than Audi (post warranty mostly), but from what I'm seeing that's not the case. And I was told from the service department that the 5k is an oil/filter change only.. along with a visual inspection. Now I hate to compare them with Jiffy Lube, but this is really sticking it to you. Especially since the last oil change I got at this same dealer (my Audi TT 60K) was around $360 and the OVERFILLED the oil by an entire quart.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
20k service, which I skipped, was quoted at $320! It was mostly chassis lube and the other normal oil change, fluid top off. Did the air filter and cabin filter myself so... I'll take my chances.

·
Registered
749 Posts
You think that's bad, check out service intervals at your local Toyota dealership. We used to have a Solara and a 4Runner and some intervals (like 60K and 120k) could run over $1000 at the dealership. Now we both have VW's. I bought the plan for my GTI so I paid up front for my first two years of service.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The dealer is gay, and the list of stuff they "inspect/service" at the first few intervals is bogus (and i bet they don't even do it).

The oil change isn't difficult or time consuming, and can be done w/o any special tools. you can get the filter from VW or the auto parts store. you can drain the filter housing by pushing the plug in with a phillips screwdriver, and if you're laying with your head under the oil pan you can get a hold of the filter housing with both hands and unscrew it without the large socket (which is like 36mm or larger and not typically included in a normal socket set).

other than that the cabin pollen and engine air filters are also easy and need no special tools, and the radiator fluid bottle is easy to keep an eye on... that should keep you out of the normal dealer inspections up until you need brake work, or if you can do that, then until the timing belt (80 or 100K miles i think). and the service indicator on the MFD can be manually reset each time it comes up (hold trip reset while turning key to on, release trip reset when "service now!" message comes up, press clock minute button located to lower left side of the tach, remove key).

stick it to the dealers -they suck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Although the dealersip prices seem to be a little "out of wack" the only issue I have with not going to them is re-sale. It's fine to say you did it yourself, but the dealer stamp and the fact that if any "good" buyer check the VIN online they will see that all the service work has been done and the vechile should of been well cared for...

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'll give a little advise from a service guy. Just an FYI I have been a service advisor for the last 7 years.

Not all dealership prices are the same, and they are not regulated by VW.

I currently work for Chrysler/Jeep. The 30,000 mile service for a 4x4 Jeep is $795.95, the same service for the same vehicle at the last dealer I worked for was $595.95.
Let's say it's a Dodge Neon (or something similar), at my current job the 30K is $595.00 compared to $334.95 at my old job. Same services but hundreds of dollars in difference.

Here's the best thing to do. Pull out the owners manual and check the service section. When you go in for service just ask for the maintenance items listed in the book. Never say "I'm here for my 10K service" the oil change may be $65 and the tire rotation may be $25.00 but the dealerships price for a "10K" service may be $149.95 for example. All they'll do is change the oil and rotate the tires but because you asked for the 10K service they can charge you what their service price is and the only things other than the LOF/rotate that will be listed on the invoice is usually an inspection of the vehicle (which is part of the oil change service).

·
Registered
68 Posts
I suggest just getting a service book and doing the work yourself. On previous cars, except my prelude, I have taking to the dealership. I see no reason the work can not be done by me. If I ever get rid of this car, which I doubt, it will be as a trade in to a dealership for a newer gti. Dealerships don't give a crap about the condition of the car. They just look up the book value. Oil changes and filter changes take 30 minutes or less, and then at least you know the work was done right. As for the timing belt, I would leave that to professionals.

·
Registered
139 Posts
O.k. I was curious and went and got the maintenance log book out of my car. Here's a breakdown of the 20,000 mile service as reommended by VW.

*Engine - Change oil and oil filter - the following are items that are ususally standard practice during a routine oil change.

- engine - check for leaks
- exhaust system - check for damage and leaks
- battery - check
- door straps - lubricate
- cooling system - check level and top off
- washer fluid - top off
- transmission - check for leaks and top off fluid
- brake system - check for leaks and pad wear - top of fluid
- drive shafts - check boots
- front axles - check ball joints and tie rods
- tires - check tread depth and tire pressure

here's the other $hit as part of the 20K service:

*acutally needed

-wheels - rotate front to rear*
-pollen filter - replace*

here's the $hit that is a complete rip off
- spare tire check condition and pressure
- roof frame - clean and lubricate
- on board diagnostic system - check for faults and purge (unless the check engine light is on they will not do this)
- airbag system - visual check "are they deployed?? no...then they're o.k"
- headlights - adjust (they don't need to be adjusted unless the car has been hit)

So basically look over the manual and only ask for the stuff that says "replace"

dealer - "how many miles are on your car"

customer - "almost 20,000"

dealer - "so you want to do the 20,000 mile service?"

customer - "no just change the oil, rotate the tires and replace the pollen filter"

That's how it should be.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Oil changes at Park Cities VW are $65. I don't know about 5k service, but my 20k was $400 (without my discount).

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Mofo,

You hit the nail on the head. I read that in my manual for the 20k and I did all those replacements my damn self. Cost me 15 for the pollen filter, 50 for a K&N replacement air filter and 45 to do Full Synthetic. As far as lubricating my door straps, well when they start to creak obnoxiously, I'll take it in for warranty work... haha

Speaking of that, if something breaks, because I didn't take it in for its 20k checkup, will warranty cover it, or will they say "You should have brought it in for service???"

·
Registered
139 Posts
Bcruzin said:
Mofo,

You hit the nail on the head. I read that in my manual for the 20k and I did all those replacements my damn self. Cost me 15 for the pollen filter, 50 for a K&N replacement air filter and 45 to do Full Synthetic. As far as lubricating my door straps, well when they start to creak obnoxiously, I'll take it in for warranty work... haha

Speaking of that, if something breaks, because I didn't take it in for its 20k checkup, will warranty cover it, or will they say "You should have brought it in for service???"
Most likely it will still be covered as long as you have records for at least oil changes, even receipts for the oil and filter work if you do them yourself. The only time I don't cover something under warrany is when there is obvious neglect and lack of care to the car. Example: if some a$$hole comes in with 30,000 miles on a car and the original oil filter is still on the car with engine knocking he's SOL. But maintenance can only void the warranty on the engine (internal parts) or transmission. If you have a window problem or cam sensor fail they can't tell you it's because you never brought it in for service. The main things you need to do to not void the warranty are oil changes, spark plugs, air filters and transmission fluid if it's an automatic. Other than that it's all bull$hit.

Since VW only calls for oil changes every 5,000 miles it leave alot of time for the customer to get the vehicle serviced. And if someone is stupid enough to go 10,000+ miles between oil changes (it happens every day at my work) they deserve what you get.

Best thing to do when you get a car is buy a folder and keep all your paperwork from day one in it.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Good stuff.. thanks O0 I'm religious about the oil changes every 3500 and its a manual so I'm golden

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
my friend sold me 2 free oil change cards from my local VW dealership for 10 bucks. he saved me over 170 bucks!! haha. synthetic oil is very very pricey

·
Registered
95 Posts
Synth isn't that bad, last time I checked a quart of Mobil 1 Synth was about 6 bucks, so 30 for 5 quarts, and it gets a little cheaper at Wal*Mart if you just buy the one big 5 Quart container.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I do all of my oil changes myself at 3000-3500 miles, and I ordered the filters in bulk online, so I have a stockpile of them. But I always have a hard time finding someone who carries the oil that I need. The two walmarts around here carry synth. oil, but don't have the weight needed. Napa and Advance don't carry the right oils here either. The last oil change I did I had to use 10W-40 (Castrol full synthetic). It gets pretty annoying after a while. I have done everything else called for in the maint. recommendations, but I can't find the pollen filter. Can anyone give a quick summary of where it is located?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ecoterragaia said:
I do all of my oil changes myself at 3000-3500 miles, and I ordered the filters in bulk online, so I have a stockpile of them. But I always have a hard time finding someone who carries the oil that I need. The two walmarts around here carry synth. oil, but don't have the weight needed. Napa and Advance don't carry the right oils here either. The last oil change I did I had to use 10W-40 (Castrol full synthetic). It gets pretty annoying after a while. I have done everything else called for in the maint. recommendations, but I can't find the pollen filter. Can anyone give a quick summary of where it is located?
it's in the passenger side foot well below the dash.
there's a styrofoam cover held in place by 2 thumbscrews, undo the screws and pull the foam cover out (it'll bend and flex, just don't rip it).
then you'll see a rectangular plate with a tab on it, slide it either left or right to unlock and remove. the filter is a tight fit, kinda twist it down/back/right if i remember correctly. note the way the notch is when putting the new element in. replace the cover and foam shields.

takes 2 min.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I pay about $43 to change the oil myself in my toyota so $65 for someone else to do it isn't bad at all. That includes 5 quarts of extened performance 15w50 MObil 1 and filter. $12 aint too bad for service and having the dealer do it for backup incase the old "no dealer maintance, no warranty" And of course the value of your car can go up $500 to $1000 with dealer papers. Let see, $12x 20 oil changes=$240 in 100,000miles. Of course filters cost more and everything else but I think i can right down that my airbags are ok and are not deployed..... ::)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.