Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1998 gti. 2.0.
there is a security system on it so whenever the battery dies or is unplugged i have to type in some code on the stereo. and the remote doesn't work for the car so i just want it taken out.

how can i remove the security system?

-cole

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
i have a 1998 gti. 2.0.
there is a security system on it so whenever the battery dies or is unplugged i have to type in some code on the stereo. and the remote doesn't work for the car so i just want it taken out.

how can i remove the security system?

-cole
Is it a stock security system or after market?
The remote probably needs either a battery or to be reprogrammed to connect with the main unit. The Stereo has the code for your safety if someone wanted to jack it. It's not a total bitch if you keep the maintenance up then your battery shouldn't die or have to be disconnected very often.

·
Registered
313 Posts
most likely its aftermarket. only a very few mk3's have a keyless remote to unlock and lock the doors. guess it was a special factory upgrade or something. if it is factory it will have a vw badge and only have 2 buttons only. as far as the secuirty code for the radio. do yourself a favor and just get an aftermarket cd player with a ipod hook up cause the factory tape player sucks and is way out dated.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
keyless entry is only available on 97 an 98 mk3

you can disable it

check for how to do it in here

i read it b4 but i have time to look for it

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
you should be able to install the radio with out disabling the security system

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
you should be able to install the radio with out disabling the security system
Negatory sir. My buddy with a 96' GTI got the keyless FOB and transmitter tried to program it last weekend at the dealer and he couldn't cuz the security system is under an incomplete circuit without the stock headunit and it's stupid security code. Either the stock system is linked to a COMPLETELY stock car, or you'll have to go aftermarket.

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
Negatory sir. My buddy with a 96' GTI got the keyless FOB and transmitter tried to program it last weekend at the dealer and he couldn't cuz the security system is under an incomplete circuit without the stock headunit and it's stupid security code. Either the stock system is linked to a COMPLETELY stock car, or you'll have to go aftermarket.
your friend would need to get the security computer of a a 97 or 98 for the remote to be able to work

with out it, the remote will never program

computer is white in color while the non keyless entry is black

i have aftermarket radio and factory security system but no keyless entry since my car is a 96

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.