My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delivery date: Feb 05, 2007. Counting down, can't wait! This is the first new car I've ever purchased/owned and I'm hoping some of you guys with a little more experience in 'buying new' might offer insights, tips, etc.

Background: I ordered back in November '06 and worked out the lease rate, down, etc at that time. What did I order? 4dr, united gray, sun roof pack, stock cloth interior, 17in stock wheels. I ordered through the local dealership in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

I have no idea what to anticipate when I head to the dealership for pick-up. I've heard it said that I will get the hard sell on a bunch of 'extras' though I'm not sure what these include and quite honestly, have no idea if these 'extras' are even needed. If there are any other add-ins that I definetly should not pass up (tint, mats, etc) I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Will post images when the deal is sealed. Thanks guys - GTI*UP

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Good topic you started, I'm just gonna move it to the appropriate part of the forum though.

If you're buying a GTI in Canada, like I did, you'll probably have a hard time haggling as it seems that VW has allotted far far fewer GTIs to Canada than to the States on a per capita basis. What I read from others on this forum is that dealerships in the U.S. actually have multiple GTIs in stock and are actually trying hard to get them out the door, selling them for below invoice. When I bought my GTI last year I also had to wait nearly a month for it and when it was finally in the salesperson was kind enough to give me $1000 off the inflated Canadian sticker price, though he really didn't have to as by that time there was a considerable wait list to get the car. Haggling for the price would have been just as futile as trying to buy a house in Vancouver for under half a mil.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm assuming by what you said that you will be leasing your car. I'm not too sure of that process, but what i would recommend is that before you sign any final paperwork buy a report like Consumer Reports which will tell you what the base cost is of the car and what dealer incentives they are getting that they don't tell you about. sometimes it's none, sometimes they get a couple grand on top of what they charge you. Also go to a site like edmunds.com and you can look up what other people are paying for the same equipped car. If you do decide to buy I would recommend getting the wheels for life program since people are reporting that their tires last about 20000 miles. the program costs about 1300 (US) and they replace you tires when the tred is worn down to a certain level or every 25000 miles. it also covers the wheels and any repairs that they need and wheel rotations. Also, don't let them talk you into the extended warranty, you can always buy it later on if you feel that you have to have it.

Other than just haggling for the best price that you can get the whole process is usually pretty painless. Once you have everything negotiated then all you have to do is sign over your soul and first born and then you get the car.
P.S. the tax and title on my car was about 1350 (if i remember correctly)

Lastly...enjoy the hell out of your new car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thalo said:
Haggling for the price would have been just as futile as trying to buy a house in Vancouver for under half a mil.
LoL - and also sad but true.

Guys, the impression that the dealer gave me was that if I don't want to pay their price, they'd have no problem finding another more willing buyer. As I understand it, these cars can be hard to come by in Vancouver.

BTW, the base price presented to me back in November 2006 was $32,090 cdn and the selling price was $33,560 cdn. The lease rate came in high at what I thought was a high 6.9%.

Also, thanks for suggesting the 'wheels for life' program...I'll look into this further.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i decided to pay my fast off in 5 years so i got the 6.9% also. it's a decent apr right now. alot of american car companies are offering 0% but that's because their cars are crap and no one is buying them.
I had started a topic about the wheels for life program before the crash, but it got erased in the reset. I think it's a great deal and it pays for itself with about 2 tire changes

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.