Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I get my oil changed for the first time since I got the car, I would also like to put some fresh tranny fluid in there. My dealership would be doing it. I have heard that these cars have sealed transmissions, so can I change that fluid or is the fluid meant not to be changed? If it can be changed,what should I have them put in there?

For reference, I have an '01 VR6 12v that is completely stock.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Both are sealed as in don't have a dipstick if thats what you mean. There is a fill and drain plug on the manual tranny and auto tranny. Consult a Bently Manual or clutch DIY online for exact placement.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ive actually been pondering this myself. How would one go about on checking the tranny fluid levels? or putting more fluid?
to check you basically open the fill plug and see if you can see it, it should be filled all the way up iirc. But if you are doing that you might as well just change it, like two more steps and its done. Basically you find the drain and fill plugs. They are 17mm allen key bolts. Make sure to loosen the fill one first coz if it doesnt budge and you already drained it, you're fuct. So once you do that, you can use a funnel and gravity to get it in, or buy a 3 dollar pump from autozone. And thats pretty much it.

·
Registered
386 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I might have to give this a go myself. I have an 03 1.8T, and I seriously want to avoid any transmission issues. I know someone who had an 02 Golf with the tiptronic like mine, and his went to crap because the fluid level was not monitored. I'm thinking they should not have sealed these bad boys.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I might have to give this a go myself. I have an 03 1.8T, and I seriously want to avoid any transmission issues. I know someone who had an 02 Golf with the tiptronic like mine, and his went to crap because the fluid level was not monitored. I'm thinking they should not have sealed these bad boys.
I disagree. I think the sealed tranny functions better than those with stix. And besides, the manual tranny is a pretty solid transmission. Upgrade your clutch and flywheel and change your fluid every 30k. Perfect forevers if you know how to shift.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I wonder if there are any other acceptable automatic transmission fluids that can be used for my '03 1.8T?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts