Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a pretty much stock MkV, 2007. I didn't need to drive it this winter, and because it has summer tires, I just parked it. Tough winter here in Michigan.

Battery was dead. Charged it. Turned key....engine fired, then quite. Lights work, sun roof, fan. No gauges or warning lights come on. As I said, it turns over, then quits.

Also, the radio wants a code. I bought this car used in 2011. Can't locate the code. According to the manual, the radio is supposed to be able to recognize its car and not need a code.

So....what's going on? Any thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Where abouts are you in Michigan?
Even though you charged it I think the radio issue might go away if you pop in a new battery. Assuming it worked fine when you parked it, its gotta be the batt. Get a meter or take the battery up to a large auto parts store and have them test it.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I agree, I think that battery is toast. Even though you charged it it's not able to put out enough amperage to start. You could try jumping the car too if it starts relatively easy with a jump its definitely the battery if not you may not be getting spark. The fuel is obviously a little on the old side too so that could cause some hesitant starts also. Just some additional thoughts in case we're wrong about it being the battery.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
A bunch of ecu communications go through the radio. I've noticed these cars get various weird issues with weak batteries, under the hood and in the fob.
Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, old battery was only putting out 260 amps. New one is rated at 600. Sadly, no difference. Cranks and fires, then quits. No gauge response. Radio says "2 safe"

Lights, fan, moon roof, all working.....friggin mystery.

Any more ideas?

·
Registered
413 Posts
well that sucks! My next guess would be fuel or spark. By chance do you have a VAGCOM cable? If you're putting out any DTCs that would help diagnose quickly, without that information I would look at your fuel and ignition system.

Did you use Sta-bil or any other fuel stabilizer before you put the car away for the winter? I know the car should run fine on this gas as its only been a few months but still something to consider...

Are you getting good spark on all cylinders? I feel like coilpacks are notorious for going out on these cars and I would probably start there but I would also check spark plugs while you're in there. I'm not an expert on these at all but I believe in general if you pull the coil pack and you see that there is any build up or burns you want to replace it. Hopefully a more knowledgeable forum member will chime in on this. I believe for many cars the 80-100k mark is fairly common for these parts to start breaking down. your car being an 07 if you've never replaced them I'd guess its time to replace them now regardless.

Basically an engine needs 3 things to run
1. Fuel
2. Spark
3. Air

If it's not fuel and or spark the MAF would be the next thing I check.

Hope someone else can chime in on this, good luck and keep us posted! We'll help out the best we can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay, called the dealer. They think the key got unprogrammed because it sat for so long. I described the symptom, and they said that's what it does with the wrong key (program).

So, anyone know how to reboot the key? Dealer will need the whole car to do it, so that means a 35 mile tow.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Okay, called the dealer. They think the key got unprogrammed because it sat for so long. I described the symptom, and they said that's what it does with the wrong key (program).

So, anyone know how to reboot the key? Dealer will need the whole car to do it, so that means a 35 mile tow.
Ha. I thought it might be the fob!
Google key reprogram for your mark. There is a certain sequence or something like that. There is a ton of stuff on it and I'm on my phone or I'd throw you a link.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, got real busy and couldn't work on this. Went and rented a tow dolly today, came home to push the car onto it...and guess what...it started.

Damn it.

So, now it runs, but has an airbag fault and the TCS indicator light won't go off.

But at least its running. I'll scan for the air bag fault and see if it needs to go (be driven) to the dealer.

Thanks all for you help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.