My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all salespeople, and current owners, what is a reasonable percentage to negotiate off the sticker price on a new GTI? I am ordering this Saturday.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Always negotiate from invoice price. You can haggle all day long and eventually the salesman or manager is going to show you the dealer invoice and tell you how little he's gonna make. Next time I buy a car, I'm going to decide on the car I want and then tell the guy/gal I'm gonna pay 2% over the invoice price (and then negotiate up to 3% if need be.) I got my GTI for $500 over invoice (~2%), and I think that worked out to around 9% or 10% under sticker, all after negotiating for about 6 hours straight. Next time, I'm saving everyone some time and starting at the bottom.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BlueFrogPosse said:
Always negotiate from invoice price. You can haggle all day long and eventually the salesman or manager is going to show you the dealer invoice and tell you how little he's gonna make. Next time I buy a car, I'm going to decide on the car I want and then tell the guy/gal I'm gonna pay 2% over the invoice price (and then negotiate up to 3% if need be.) I got my GTI for $500 over invoice (~2%), and I think that worked out to around 9% or 10% under sticker, all after negotiating for about 6 hours straight. Next time, I'm saving everyone some time and starting at the bottom.
wow, that is an amazing discount and I can't see how it was even worth them selling the car to you.............I guess you have to be pretty hard ass to get them to show you the dealer invoice...........

·
Registered
274 Posts
uncle dude said:
BlueFrogPosse said:
wow, that is an amazing discount and I can't see how it was even worth them selling the car to you.............I guess you have to be pretty hard ass to get them to show you the dealer invoice...........
Not really. This information is readily availble on the internet and the dealers know it. I paid 350 over dealer invoice. Generally, the bigger the cities with multple dealers arer your best bet. There are at least a half dozen dealers in Dallas. I bought mine over the phone, sight unseen. When I bought the car before this one, I faxed my specs to all of the local dealers and requested bids. Got that one for invoice +200 AND it had to be ordered!

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
Yeah, when we went in we threatened to walk out... they showed us the invoice and we paid 200 over the dealer's invoice. It ended up being 23,900 I believe (don't quote me on that) and the sticker was 25,XXX.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Yeah, they definitely will show you an invoice, especially if you've been haggling for a while. I just can't imagine that if I said I'd pay invoice +$500 right from the start, that it wouldn't be worth it for them. They could sell the car for $500 profit in 30 minutes rather than after 6 hours.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Something else to consider is dealer holdback. I obtained my GTI at invoice (and a dealer trade at that), but there was a dealer holdback at the time which meant that they still made money off of the transaction. Consumer Reports has a new car report feature that will tell you all osrts of information about the car you are looking for, including dealer incentives and holdback. If I remember correctly, the Consumer Reports report costs $12. Also, contact the internet dept first. You can usually get a better deal through them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.