Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else having this problem on their 07 Gti-
When I step on the gas in Drive, Sport or DSG the RPMs go up to no more then 1600 and drop back down to idle speed.
Is this a BIG problem or what. Dealer says there is no issue but I think they have there head up there assss cause how can you do the LC without reving you engine. 1600 RPM barely spins the tires!!
Anyone with answers please HELP

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
I don't understand.

Are you pressing the brake at the same time?
Are you trying to do the Launch Control feature?

Put it in Sport mode
Turn off ESP
Push on the brake, then gas

·
Registered
223 Posts
This has been covered a couple of times before. use the search button and look for "Launch Controll"

A Lot of 07's have left the factory with out it enabled. go to your dealer. Tell them the launch controll isnt working and that it needs the new program. My dealer looked at me like I was crazy (then one guy made a joke asking why I was trying to launch a brand new car). After I showed them the TSB, they shut their mouths and did it that day.

and BTW....it only works in "S" and in manual mode...not in Drive

the car should rev smoothly without it feeling like it wants to lurch forward.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for your help guys but heres the thing, when you're driving and you stop at a red light have you ever put your left foot on the brake and revved the engine with your right? What happens at around 1600 RPMs, does it drop back down to idle speeds or can you rev it beyond 2000? Because I cannot........................ :mad:
I understand the process of LC but if I can't rev my engine higher then 1600 RPMs then there is probably a (serious) issue one would assume, correct?? Let me know what happens when you guys rev your engine.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
Portlandite said:
thanks for your help guys but here's the thing, when you're driving and you stop at a red light have you ever put your left foot on the brake and revved the engine with your right? What happens at around 1600 RPMs, does it drop back down to idle speeds or can you rev it beyond 2000? Because I cannot........................ :mad:
I understand the process of LC but if I can't rev my engine higher then 1600 RPMs then there is probably a (serious) issue one would assume, correct?? Let me know what happens when you guys rev your engine.
Remember- these are pretty smart cars... mine will not rev past 2K in park w/ the brake depressed. I believe it's a safety feature.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
your ESP is turned off before you do this right?? sometimes it takes me 2 tries to get it to go fully into LC after i just stopped. you really have to gas it also to make the revs go up. you gotta almost floor it to have it get to 3k RPM hah.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So i took my Gti back to the dealership and brought out a sales guy, two service reps and a mechanic and proved to them that there is something going wrong with my car. They all had the exact same look on their faces :eek: it appears that my 07 Gti was not programmed with the Launch Control feature that ALL 07's are. The 06 was by request only and you had to pay more for it, so due to it not having been programmed from the FACTORY it had a limitor or what ever you wanna call it, to stop me from revving my engine. So it all worked out for the best, just sucks it took me and the dealership an F'n YEAR to figure out what the hell was wrong

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
PortlandGti said:
Is anyone else having this problem on their 07 Gti-
When I step on the gas in Drive, Sport or DSG the RPMs go up to no more then 1600 and drop back down to idle speed.
Is this a BIG problem or what. Dealer says there is no issue but I think they have there head up there assss cause how can you do the LC without reving you engine. 1600 RPM barely spins the tires!!
Anyone with answers please HELP
You need to have launch control flashed to your ecu. Its free, just call the service center.
When you get launch control, take the esp off, and you should be able to hold 3k rpm when you press the brake and the gas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts