Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after talking to a friend about oil changes, he suggest royal purple as its fully synthetic, wikipedia says its a group I oil unlike Mobil 1 which is a group III

not sure what that means, but the way wiki had it worded sounded like group one is better. It was only a brief paragraph on royal purple oil and its written by non pro's.

i was jus wondering if anyone else has had an experience w. royal purple

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
lumns said:
after talking to a friend about oil changes, he suggest royal purple as its fully synthetic, wikipedia says its a group I oil unlike Mobil 1 which is a group III

not sure what that means, but the way wiki had it worded sounded like group one is better. It was only a brief paragraph on royal purple oil and its written by non pro's.

i was jus wondering if anyone else has had an experience w. royal purple
I've run Royal Purple (full synthetic for motorcycles) in two of my bikes and no issues. My mechanic swears buy it and races on it.

If it meets/beats the specs for VW's oil- I'd use it. I'll do some research on the standards and see what I can find.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
on another thread there is a pdf of the oil that vw recommends, i have it saved on my laptop at home

·
Registered
76 Posts
The Oil spec four our MKV GTI's is VW505.01

I'm all for synthetic oils... we use them at work and our engines burn at over 700 degrees C... I've found that AMSOIL European Car formula 5W-40 fits the VW505.01 spec that our cars require... I've been running AMSOIL in my cars for about 8 months, and before that I was running Mobile1 SYN EP I highly recommend that you look at the AMSOIL website and think about using their oil... They are an American company from the Midwest and make an awesome product...

I've also heard that Royal Purple Oil has "solids" in it specifically Moly-B these solids can really bugger things up. Imagine grinding up pencil lead into a powder and dropping that into an oil pan then adding oil on the top... also I can't find anywhere on the royal purple web site where they say it fits the VW505.01 spec.

Good Luck on your search...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts