Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3000 miles ago I tried finding the 0w-40 in the purple for my mkv, couldn't find it. Today as I went out to buy my oil I see that they finally have it on the shelf, question is does anyone have any info on Royal Purple and our MKV'S? Do you use it? And how does it compare to others?

Thanks in advance peeps!

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
3000 miles ago I tried finding the 0w-40 in the purple for my mkv, couldn't find it. Today as I went out to buy my oil I see that they finally have it on the shelf, question is does anyone have any info on Royal Purple and our MKV'S? Do you use it? And how does it compare to others?

Thanks in advance peeps!
There was a thread a while back where everybody listed what oil they were using and I can't remember anyone using Royal Purple. I haven't personally heard anything about it but that might tell you something.

·
USMC
1,105 Posts
Well, it's a good racing oil...but for people who change their oil every 5/10 K and never check the dip stick, it's terrible. Reason being, the oil is thinner, so it burns faster. No good!

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
so like you said, it's only good for racing, since it would be changed often?
You can use it as often as you would like. Just check your oil levels every 2nd gas tank fill up.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

·
USMC
1,105 Posts
I change my oil right before the 3k mark, no exceptions lol so I think I should be good?
Every 3K is to much on the newer cars, although it's up to you. What I'm saying is you need to check it every few fill ups, and add if necessary. Since most people don't, it's not an oil I'd recommend running especially if you run hard.​

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Royal Purple 5w40 every 5k miles. No issues or complaints, oil still feels great when drained (dads friend uses my old oil for his chainsaw)...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

·
USMC
1,105 Posts
Royal Purple 5w40 every 5k miles. No issues or complaints, oil still feels great when drained (dads friend uses my old oil for his chainsaw)...

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
I guess it depends how you drive. IDK, from my experience with it I wouldn't use it for daily driving.

·
Registered
198 Posts
5-40? I'm down in Texas and when I went to auto zone and reily they said 0-40??
look in your owners manual. it says 5w-40 or 5w-30 if 40 is not available. but it needs to be vw 502 approved. if you look on the back of the oil canister it will say a few car companies and numbers next to it. if there isnt vw 502 there i wouldnt use it.

i believe its 502, im at work so i cant go look. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts