Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, my '07 (just under 3 mos/3k miles) started idling very roughly. This morning, I noticed that the engine light is on (not blinking, fortunately!). Any ideas? The dealership can't look at it until Tuesday AM. Everything was just fine until. . .it wasn't.

·
Registered
125 Posts
sometimes it can be something simple like a sensor plug popped off, or one of your fuses is not making proper contact, or one of your hoses/tubes involved with vacuum/boost came unclamped. Try checking the simple things first. Rough idle sounds like either an electric problem or an emissions problem (EGR valves, MAFs, O2, etc.) If it's not obvious, I would probably just wait until the dealership can run a diagnostic. probably not that big a deal though, hopefully you don't have to drive it too much until then . . .

·
Registered
117 Posts
Eco, the car is brand new. Why would hoses be coming loose or electric problem? Is this the norm, or abnorm? These questions you may not be able to answer....... but it makes me wonder

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nah, I don't think it's the norm to have that stuff happen, but you never know. I was just making the suggestions cause I always tend to look for simple problems first. I wasn't saying that these kind of things normally happen, but you have a few days before you have to go to the shop, so why not spend a couple of minutes checking things over? Can't hurt. It's too difficult to give you an idea of what might be wrong with your car without knowing where you've driven it, how you've driven it, what the rough idle sounds like, which light is on, what kind of gas you're using, whether or not you're chipped, if you have an aftermarket intake, etc, etc. I haven't heard of many people having this kind of problem, especially in such a new GTI, unless they've installed aftermarket parts that mess with the sensors or ECM in some way. Your dealership will know what to do. Sorry if that wasn't much help, hopefully someone who's had this same problem can reply with a good answer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had the same problem.

you can read my description here. Cylinder missfiring

I wouldnt worry too much it wasnt serious for me and i had no other problems as a result of it. Just let the dealer ship take care of it and ull be fine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ecoterragaia said:
Nah, I don't think it's the norm to have that stuff happen, but you never know. I was just making the suggestions cause I always tend to look for simple problems first. I wasn't saying that these kind of things normally happen, but you have a few days before you have to go to the shop, so why not spend a couple of minutes checking things over? Can't hurt. It's too difficult to give you an idea of what might be wrong with your car without knowing where you've driven it, how you've driven it, what the rough idle sounds like, which light is on, what kind of gas you're using, whether or not you're chipped, if you have an aftermarket intake, etc, etc. I haven't heard of many people having this kind of problem, especially in such a new GTI, unless they've installed aftermarket parts that mess with the sensors or ECM in some way. Your dealership will know what to do. Sorry if that wasn't much help, hopefully someone who's had this same problem can reply with a good answer.
Thanks for the insight. FYI: no mods; no insane driving other than that associated w/having no sense of direction and having to turn suddenly; no off-brand gas and hadn't gotten any within days of problem; idle noise is somewhere between chugging and thunking (yikes!) though it did calm down a bit yesterday; warning light is your basic yellow "check engine" one on left side of dash display.
Not driving it today, but have to make a few trips tomorrow. Hey, can somebody give me a ride to work on Tuesday morning?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: This morning, the engine light was off (which can probably be explained by having gone through the requisite number of cycles) and the idle was back to normal! I didn't drive it at all yesterday, so maybe it just needed time to. . .heal itself (KGDeAng, this should make you feel better)?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Scarlet, if your telling me that your fast did just that, I am on my way to the dealer, just let me know which one when you get the report!

·
Registered
125 Posts
That's awesome that your car "fixed itself". I wonder if it was something dumb like a loose bit of carbon in your EGR valve, if these cars even have EGR valves ??? Sometimes things like that just need to be blown out (ha ha , Italian tune-up? ) And that's not a racist comment, it comes from the times ( 60's & 70's) when the old Italian-made cars would build gas and oil up in the carbs and you would run them hard to blow everything out. Good to hear it though, have a fast day !!! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Two days later and still fine! Hope I don't have a reason to find out what the code is for another 2k miles, but I'll keep you all posted if it reappears. Thanks, again.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
Instead of a new thread, I figured I'd resurrect this one.

Lend me your ears....
Took my GTI in for a CEL today, thing had been on for 5 days, so I figured it was serious. Since I haven't done anything substantial modification-wise, I thought this may be a legitimate complaint from my car's computer.

Here's what I get back from the service dept, via the Invoice Sheet

Inspection revealed an internal fault in the intake runner adjuster. Part ordered
OY update is complete to VW specs.

Can any of you shed light on either of these cryptic tech messages. The service dept was vague. I even said should I take it easy on the car til the part shows up, and they said "nope drive it like a GTI"

Thank you gents.... and ladies O0

·
Registered
530 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I let my bro borrow my car for a weekend and I got it back to me with a "thumping" idle/engine light. Found out he put 89 octane in so I topped it off with 93. The idle was back to normal and the engine light turned off. He needed the car yesterday and I got it back with the engine light on again.. now it won't turn off. Any ideas guys? It's a 07 gti with 8000 miles

·
Registered
22 Posts
my CEL came on after 2000 miles. i have a good friend who is a vw tech and he ran the diagnostic which came up to be a mis-fire code. he said it was probably a fluke, erased it and it has been perfect ever since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.