Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey iv had my gti for about a month with 2000 miles on it and i didnt notice at first but i do now that im getting a loud hum from the wheels. i have the stock continental pro contact tires with the 17 in huffs wanted to see if any one else was experiencing this?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i can't speak to the 17"... but i had the 18" conti-sport 2's factory tires, and i thought they were pretty damn quiet. i'm guessing this is due to the fact that the tread pattern is completely parallel to the road surface. they were sticky too, needless to say i burned through them in <24K miles. i replaced them with kumho ecsta mx's, which are directional and have a fair amount of cross tread... these things stick good and are a harder compound (so i should get more life out of them), but they're loud as hell. it's tolerable at highway speeds, but as you slow to a stop they make a very pronounced grumbling. i probably won't get them again.

i'm not familiar with the tread pattern of the 17", but being an all-season tire, i'm sure that might cause it to be a little on the noisy side. probably completely normal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same tires no cross treading but still not so much as a rumble but more of a higher pitched hum. ill deal with it for a few more weeks until i up to toyo proxes t1r on new 18s. i shouldn have to realign the car even though i have 17s now ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
07FURYMKV said:
i shouldn have to realign the car even though i have 17s now ?
^^not sure if that's a question... in either case, to answer it: if your current wheel/tire assemby is properly balanced and tracking true, then no a new set of wheels and/or tires won't need a realignment when you make the switch. if your car tends to pull now, then you'll need a realignment done regardless.

keep in mind too if you change your wheels and/or tires do the math to figure out if the overall outside diameter changes, if so you're speedo will be reading wrong. then do more math to see how much it's off by (or have ride side by side with a friend that's got a car with a stock wheel/tire combo and see how far you're speedo is off).

all things to consider... hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Nils302 said:
i can't speak to the 17"... but i had the 18" conti-sport 2's factory tires, and i thought they were pretty damn quiet. i'm guessing this is due to the fact that the tread pattern is completely parallel to the road surface. they were sticky too, needless to say i burned through them in <24K miles. i replaced them with kumho ecsta mx's, which are directional and have a fair amount of cross tread... these things stick good and are a harder compound (so i should get more life out of them), but they're loud as hell. it's tolerable at highway speeds, but as you slow to a stop they make a very pronounced grumbling. i probably won't get them again.

i'm not familiar with the tread pattern of the 17", but being an all-season tire, i'm sure that might cause it to be a little on the noisy side. probably completely normal.
Nils:

Take a look at the Nitto Neogens, awesome price for a really good tire.

http://myfastgti.com/vwgti/index.php/topic,177.0.html

·
Registered
43 Posts
22350 said:
Nils302 said:

Nils:

Take a look at the Nitto Neogens, awesome price for a really good tire.

http://myfastgti.com/vwgti/index.php/topic,177.0.html
Thanks for the recommendation, i'll keep them in mind next time around... so far i've gotten over 13K on the Kumhos and it doesn't look like they've worn at all, so i've got a long time to make my next decision.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw your post about tire noise. Are you still having that problem? Looks like the same thing might be going on with my GTI. I've had mine for about a year and have struggled with tire noise for almost this entire time. Mine also has the 17 inch wheels but it came with Bridgestone Potenza all seasons. I let my noise go a little longer than you did. Eventually developed cupping which basically ruined the rear tires. Since then, I have changed tires twice and developed tire noise each time. The dealership can't find anything wrong with the car. Would I do better with non directional radials?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Daktari you say you've changed the tires twice w/o getting rid of the noise... have you tried the OE Continental ContiProContact tire? if you check them out on Tire Rack they're listed as having the best noise rating out of the 3 OE tire choices. i'm only on my second set of tires now so i don't have much for comparison, but the Continentals were much quieter than the Kumhos i've got now.

my dad's been struggling with tire noise on his 3000GT for years now, i recommended Continentals to him based on how quiet my factory tires were -he switched to a set of all-season ContiPros and all the noise went away (he had tried Toyo, Falken, and Kumho in the past). you get pretty consistent readings across the board when looking at the survey results of several Continental tires on tire rack. might want to give them a shot if you haven't already.

the cupping is something you might want to look into further... unless the car's consistently loaded a lot in the rear you shouldn't be getting any cupping. maybe take it to an alignment shop where they specialize in the stuff. i wouldn't be surprised if the people at your VW dealership don't have a clue about what they're doing... that's been my experience. i buy my parts from them but they never see the car for service, i've dealt with 4 dealers in the southern MD/DC area, and so far they've all been incompetent.

good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.