Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking for some mod advice for my mk5 GTI.

I have just had stage 1 revo flashed on to the car and I am looking to upgrade to stage 2 soon too, but I have some questions regarding this:

I have just ordered the Revo Intake but for stage 2 should I go for a Milltek turbo back exhaust OR a down pipe? (can't afford both atm :( ) Which would be more benifical in terms of performance? Is stage 2 worth going for if its only £50 extra?

Also is the SPS device that Revo offer worth going for to change back to stock if I need too/compare stock and revo again, just for fun ;)

Ok on to looks and handling now:

I am looking to lower my gti too, but not stupidly low...just enough to look sporty and handle better, Is lowering springs the answer. Not really keen to splash put on coils ;)

Any help and advice will be greatly appricated :D

Jack

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
If you get a turboback exhaust then it will already come with a downpipe... so unless you want 2 dps don't buy both. You only need a downpipe for stage 2, but if you want more sound out of your exhaust you can get the whole turboback. As far as lowering... getting springs significantly reduces the shock life. Id get coilovers... everyone always says they dont want to be low and they buy a shock/spring combo... then later on they sell it and buy coils. If anything you can get coils and spin them to their highest setting. That way if ever you change your mind you dont need to spend money again

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
No. Thats a catback exhaust. catback comes after the catalytic converter/downpipe. You need either just a downpipe, or a turboback exhaust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats a shame, I just noticed the Turbo backs are a lot more expensive 1k upwards :(

Might just go of the down pipe instead?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
that would work no problem, and would make your exhaust a bit louder

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Never heard of scorpion before... id do some research and see what people think. Or go with a more reputable company.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
not to start anything, but, I know a lot of people talk about reduced shock life from lowering springs. I think this is an exception and not the standard. The biggest risk is ruining the ride quality because the dampers are not set up for the springs. Shocks are cheap too, so even if the blow, not a biggy.

I have not seen a lot of info out there, forums, etc. "Another blown shock from lowering springs"... and I ran H&R supersports for 3.5 years on terrible roads and the shocks were okay when going to coils.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
not to start anything, but, I know a lot of people talk about reduced shock life from lowering springs. I think this is an exception and not the standard. The biggest risk is ruining the ride quality because the dampers are not set up for the springs. Shocks are cheap too, so even if the blow, not a biggy.

I have not seen a lot of info out there, forums, etc. "Another blown shock from lowering springs"... and I ran H&R supersports for 3.5 years on terrible roads and the shocks were okay when going to coils.
Glad you brought this up. I have no personal experience with lowering springs and am just talking from what I've heard others say. Entirely possible I heard the wrong info.

·
That's how I Röhrl
3,110 Posts
Glad you brought this up. I have no personal experience with lowering springs and am just talking from what I've heard others say. Entirely possible I heard the wrong info.
you probably heard right, lots of people say this on the net, but I'm not sure there's a lot of evidence behind it happening all the time. Of course it's not an ideal set up and es, they may blow out eventually,but I'd think well after 5+ years. Not to mention they're relatively cheap.

Just remember, Eibach and H&R wouldn't be in business if the typical owner had their stock shocks go in a year!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have two inch drop springs in mine and I live in Massachusetts pot whole state and drive my car all year round and have had no problems at all. And my shocks are fine

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts