Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was wondering if i should remove the resonator on my gti, because i'm sick of my friend's civic si and my other friend's 240sx, being louder than my car. I was also wondering if i should just save up and buy a new muffler altogether.

·
Registered
197 Posts
leave the resonator in, it wil be super high pitch, the res is what keeps it sounding nice. why do you wanna set off car alarms, and why are you jealous of a honda.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hold on man don't go saying crazy stuff like "jealous of a honda" phrases like that are not meant to be uttered. Thanks for reply.

·
Premium Member
3,420 Posts
monkey50 said:
hold on man don't go saying crazy stuff like "jealous of a honda" phrases like that are not meant to be uttered. Thanks for reply.
Haha! nice.

Get a new exhaust. I think APR's "stealth" exhaust sounds really nice (not stealth at all in my opinion, but more so than the 'sport'). they have sound clips at GOAPR.com

·
Registered
137 Posts
resonater? I just have to ask what EXACTLY that is? Is it like the fart cans on the end of the hondas? If so.........what?Why on a GTI? Stupid........

·
Registered
28 Posts
No it's a smaller type of muffler that eliminates certain sounds right before the actual muffler. It comes stock on all GTI's and I guess a lot of people think it sounds better when you just striaght pipe right where the resonator is supposed to be. I did it on my old MKIV GTI and I wasn't that impressed. When I started it cold in the morning it just kind of sounded like my Dads Duramax Diesel in the back. I know that some of you are gonna laugh at me for saying my 1.8t sounded like a 6.0 Duramax but it really did remind me of the stock duramax exhaust. ;D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmmm........i think ill take it off when i get my gti. I love the sound of a diesel. Duramaxs are pretty quiet diesels though but i like them.

·
Registered
197 Posts
monkey50 said:
hold on man don't go saying crazy stuff like "jealous of a Honda" phrases like that are not meant to be uttered. Thanks for reply.
Sorry didn't mean to insult you, but ya, get a exhaust if you take off the res. it will be really really load. and my buddies rsx is my 6th fav car so i kinda like hondas. gti go DOWN PIPE CAT a few feet of piping then resonator then air. take it off. then you can pick if you like it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
makes me want to take mine off. I have an EIP exhaust :'( should have went APR but oh well I learn .... Will it hurt my baby if I take it off?

·
Registered
137 Posts
well any less resistence means more hp. How much, is hard to tell but the HP could come in sooner in the rpm band. The down side is that you could loose some torque at the low end so the trade might not be worth it, i guess.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Holy thread revival Batman! I'm keeping her stock for now, but I'd like to hear that!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
i've had it done....i freakin love it.

its not annoying at all and i drive at all speeds, dc city traffic and through virginia mountains. At all rpms its great. if u plan on gettin a complete TBE in the next few months i would wait. But for its money, it sounds good. i havent had ne problems since i deleted mine a few months ago.

two months down the road i still catch myself puttin the windows down while riding around town to hear it and its been about 30degrees here

1 - 18 of 18 Posts