Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after this winter my '06 has been flashing the "Low oil pressure. Shut off engine" warning light. But there's a catch, it's only below 2000rpm.

It is not throwing any fault codes whatsoever and I had someone mechanically gauge the oil pressure and it's fine. So we think it's the low oil pressure switch.

Apparently there are two switch's, the low pressure switch which is used to alert the driver if the oils pressure dips too low while the engine is running at less than 2000 RPM and the high pressure switch which is used to alert the driver if the oils pressure dips too low when the engine is running at more than 2000 RPM.

Has anyone had this? I wouldn't mind comparing stories. Either way, I'm looking to replace the low pressure switch but do I need to do the sender as well? Are there physically two switches on the engine or are the high and low both within the one switch? And lastly, anyone have a part number? haha The VW dealership near me didn't seem to confident on the part number without taking the old switch out first to look. I'll go and assume that was a stupid question

thanks fellow GTI-ers

PS - I was going to use this DIY for help: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techart...49-ENGINE-Oil_Pressure_Switch_Replacement.htm

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2006 GTI. Oil pressure warning comes on only when the engine is warmed up and revving under 2000 rpm.
Did you manage to fix it yourself? I would like to do so myself. Thanks!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am having the same issue with my 2006 GTI. Oil pressure warning comes on only when the engine is warmed up and revving under 2000 rpm.
Did you manage to fix it yourself? I would like to do so myself. Thanks!!
Oh man it's been a while. I sold my GTI last year for a Tacoma. I couldn't deal with the constant issues with the GTI so I wish you luck with yours. I BELIEVE that the only way I could have fixed it was to replace the actual switch which was supposed to be quite the endeavor.

I never ended up doing it because it was so expensive and it didn't affect the car (as far as I knew). It's someone else's problem now.

Good luck bud

1 - 3 of 3 Posts