My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long should the battery in the remote key last? I know, it depends on how much its used right. I've had my fast for about 4 months and mine appears to be dead already! Anyway, not wanting to break the thing to get to the battery I wasn't sure how to open it. Here's a nice site someone put up with pics: http://www.riskin.org/vwkey/ ...thought it might help someone else in the future.

-daniel

·
Registered
352 Posts
Are there different models of keys for the GTi? I saw a lot of people with this cool fllip out key doohickey, but when I test drove a GTi at the dealership they had a normal looking key.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hat
UnitedGrayGTi06 said:
Are there different models of keys for the GTi? I saw a lot of people with this cool fllip out key doohickey, but when I test drove a GTi at the dealership they had a normal looking key.
The "normal" looking key is the valet key. It's what they gave me to test drive, too. I got one with my '06 along with 2 remote, "flip out" keys"

Thanks for the link DGM! Saved me a trip to the dreaded "service" department of my local dealership.

·
Registered
352 Posts
runnin81 said:
hat
UnitedGrayGTi06 said:
The "normal" looking key is the valet key. It's what they gave me to test drive, too. I got one with my '06 along with 2 remote, "flip out" keys"

Thanks for the link DGM! Saved me a trip to the dreaded "service" department of my local dealership.
Sweet. Thanks for the info.

And by the way, I don't know how long the battery should last in the VW key fab. But I have had many other ones that have lasted well over 3 years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Three years for a key fob is prett good but my Fiancee has had her Jetta for 5 years and is still going on the same battery. pretty amazing if you ask me.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep.... replaced the battery and it works fine now. Sort of disappointing that it died after only 4-5 months of daily use. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had my 07 for 4 weeks and my key just died! Rat bastards will replace it but i have to drive there to get them to take care of it! That's just unacceptable.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had one battery die after one year. Then just in the past few weeks (a year later) the batteries in both remotes died. Seems quick but not to worry, the dealer replaced the one a year ago under warranty. The dealer replaced both today under warranty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts