Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my front bumper has tons of scratches and rock chips and even 2 huge scratches from when the previous owner hit [what i think was] a truck hitch.
Would painting over everything make it look like new? Or would I need to buff out all the scratches?

HOW would I even go about my bumper painted? I'm guessing I find the paint # and bring it to some auto shop to get paint mixed for me?

bump.jpg
[It looks worse in person. lol.]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Prolly just sand and repaint it

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more specifically...what type of paint? how many coats? how many grades of sand paper? and what grit?

idk nuttin bout no paintin tho ;D

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
more specifically...what type of paint? how many coats? how many grades of sand paper? and what grit?

idk nuttin bout no paintin tho ;D
Only thing is, on bumper covers they use flex paint.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have no idea what is being said to me in this thread [suicide]

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
i have no idea what is being said to me in this thread [suicide]
Bumper covers use a different blend of paint to be more flexible so the paint doesn't peel and crack off.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
okay, but...what's a bumper cover? and i never got the paint/sandpaper question answered! lol!

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
okay, but...what's a bumper cover? and i never got the paint/sandpaper question answered! lol!
Haha, what most people call the bumper. It's the plastic that covers your front and rear end. They have paint markers with color match. Is there pics of the scratches? I kinda skimmed through this thread

Edit. I saw the pics. Kinda hard for me to see but is the whole thing scratched to sh!t?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Kinda hard for me to see but is the whole thing scratched to sh!t?
Let's just say...I give BMPearl a new meaning. lol.

I touched up as much as a man could. I have no idea what to do next other than to paint the damn thing.

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
Let's just say...I give BMPearl a new meaning. lol.

I touched up as much as a man could. I have no idea what to do next other than to paint the damn thing.
Hahaha, ya. You can get the paint from the dealer, but it might not match exactly because your paint is probably faded due to age of your car. Just have the whole car painted if possible. What condition is the rest of your paint in?

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
your prolly going to have to get it done at a body shop. u could prolly save a few bucks by sading it with 1800 grit, or a brillo pad. pay attention to the scratch itself, get all the burrs off and make it is smooth as possible

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much does this job cost?
The rear bumper looks like it has paint cracks of some sort, the door handles are pretty thrashed and the roofhas some tiny dust scratches. I would like a full paint job bu I doubt I can afford that...

·
Use Google Search!!!!
8,222 Posts
How much does this job cost?
The rear bumper looks like it has paint cracks of some sort, the door handles are pretty thrashed and the roofhas some tiny dust scratches. I would like a full paint job bu I doubt I can afford that...
If I had to guess I would say a few hundred for the bumper cover to be painted

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
If I had to guess I would say a few hundred for the bumper cover to be painted
X2. Find yourself a good body/paint shop and make sure the paint gets matched up perfectly.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:'(how much is a few hundred? like 2-3? or like 5-6?

and my hood has some specs on it too...:mad:

·
Super Moderator
3,120 Posts
Ehh. Depends. if you have many body shops around you then go get individual quotes from them and see what they charge or say.

·
Registered
496 Posts
To get the bumpers painted, it'll prolly cost like 3-400. Thats a quote I got locally.
To get the whole car painted, you can spend anywhere from 700-like 2grand.
All depends on the paint, but for a decent job like a grand.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
You gotta do the car buying ritual all over again, get many quotes, get the lowest one and call the other saying hey this shop is charging me 500, can you beat it? The will probably say yes, report back to all the other shops and call them with the now new lower price the second shop made and make them compete that way. LOL.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You gotta do the car buying ritual all over again, get many quotes, get the lowest one and call the other saying hey this shop is charging me 500, can you beat it? The will probably say yes, report back to all the other shops and call them with the now new lower price the second shop made and make them compete that way. LOL.
People need business, and you have many options.
So take advantage of that, like Frankie said ^^

1 - 20 of 23 Posts