Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to put on this new shift knob I got. It just screws on. Having trouble removing my stock knob. Anyone have any idea of removing just the knob. Its a 2011 GTI 6 speed manual.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Trying to put on this new shift knob I got. It just screws on. Having trouble removing my stock knob. Anyone have any idea of removing just the knob. Its a 2011 GTI 6 speed manual.
Thanks
Try pulling up on the shifter boot and the surround. Lift it up over the knob without removing it. I bet the knob is clamped to the shifter stalk like mine.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok ya thanks I did that and its seem to be clamped with this like metal ring type thing. Not sure how to remove it.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
ok ya thanks I did that and its seem to be clamped with this like metal ring type thing. Not sure how to remove it.
Gonna have to cut it off. Not sure if your stalk will be threaded on the end. It's a risky operation but you could use a tap kit to thread it to the size you need. Make sure to put newspaper over the opening from the shifter boot so no debris gets into the linkage or glides. Tape the paper up around the stalk as theings will slip in there. I found out the hard way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.