Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my GTI on saturday, i live in canada, so i am looking to get a set of winter tires on my GTI as well as a remote car starter

does anyone have one, and what is a good brand to get that works well with the GTI

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I've never needed a car starter. Just suck it up and drive while it's -30 in the car, it'll warm up soon enough.

For winter tires I got a set of Nokian Hakkappelitas. They're fucking awesome. Maybe not the best winter tires when it comes to braking and accelerating, but awesome latteral grip. Today you should have seen me dodge around a semi and get back in the right lane to make a right turn on a slushy road, I felt like some kind of getaway driver.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm so glad I don't live in Canada and have to deal with that weather. Although in time we will get our share in Ohio.

Use the heated seats to keep you warm until you find a remote starter. Just find someone that knows what they are doing because VW's are easy to screw up electrically.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Exactly. Just about every single one of my co-workers has a car starter. They ask me "You don't have a car starter?" when we're leaving work and all their cars are already started and mine just sits there silently with a thick layer of frost on all the windshields. I say "no, I have a scraper and heated seats."

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would also like to get the remote start for my Fast. I was told even before I bought my Fast that it wasn't possible to install the remote starter. Something about the digital encoding with the key and what not. I don't know, but I would really like to have it.

BTW, for those who don't know, the remote start isn't just so you have a warm car to get into. It is also to thaw out your windows when they are covered in ice. It can easily take 20 minutes to remove the ice from your windshield with the heater/defroster on full blast. It sucks not having a garage. :'(

·
Registered
79 Posts
i moved to florida when i was young so didnt get to drive where i am from -new york - where it obviously did snow what would happen if say the night or around the time before it was maybe gonna snow you took a car cover and covered your car then your could just remove the top layer of snow and from the car and whalla clean car snow free soes anybody think this would work ??? ??? :)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
It'd be pretty hard to take the cover off when it's covered in snow. Seems like a waste of time.

BTW: secret GTI tip for winter drivers: If you're parking your car for the night and you expect snow, after turning off the ignition turn the key back on again so that the electrical system is on but no engine and push the windshield whiper lever down once. It parks the whiper blades in a vertical position, which makes snow removal easier and keeps em from freezing into place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thalo said:
It'd be pretty hard to take the cover off when it's covered in snow. Seems like a waste of time.

BTW: secret GTI tip for winter drivers: If you're parking your car for the night and you expect snow, after turning off the ignition turn the key back on again so that the electrical system is on but no engine and push the windshield whiper lever down once. It parks the whiper blades in a vertical position, which makes snow removal easier and keeps em from freezing into place.
Thanks for the excellent tip, I'll remember that!!
I live in Michigan, so I'll definitely need it when the snow hits! ;D

·
Registered
20 Posts
MicMoor77 said:
I would also like to get the remote start for my Fast. I was told even before I bought my Fast that it wasn't possible to install the remote starter. Something about the digital encoding with the key and what not. I don't know, but I would really like to have it.

BTW, for those who don't know, the remote start isn't just so you have a warm car to get into. It is also to thaw out your windows when they are covered in ice. It can easily take 20 minutes to remove the ice from your windshield with the heater/defroster on full blast. It sucks not having a garage. :'(
Yes you can. You can even get one installed on a manual if you ask nice. Works nice in the summer too. Make sure you get one with a decent range. I have had good luck with Viper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
cRazEYgUy said:
Thalo said:

Thanks for the excellent tip, I'll remember that!!
I live in Michigan, so I'll definitely need it when the snow hits! ;D
why not just pull the blades away from the windshield (park position)? Push em back down once you have cleard the windshield.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I don't know what you guys are talking about, it's been 30 degrees around here lately, after that ice storm came.

But do I know what you mean, it's pretty nice around here (usually).

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes you can. You can even get one installed on a manual if you ask nice. Works nice in the summer too. Make sure you get one with a decent range. I have had good luck with Viper.
[/quote]

How do you get a remote start on a manual? Don't you need to push in the clutch to start the engine?

·
Registered
23 Posts
the remote starter is able to bypass the clutch, however you just have to remember to leave the car in neutral. I had a couple friends with starters on their cars and it's pretty funny when they started it when it was in gear. kinda looked like the car was dying.

·
Registered
352 Posts
geoloseth said:
the remote starter is able to bypass the clutch, however you just have to remember to leave the car in neutral. I had a couple friends with starters on their cars and it's pretty funny when they started it when it was in gear. kinda looked like the car was dying.
Hahahaha! what does a dying car, look like exactly?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts