My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have had a Golf since 1992. We loved our first one, then purchased another in 2000. What a piece of sh*% that thing was, and if you can believe it VW actually took it back from us and gave us a new one. We split the depreciation and paid $500. So we thought OK, at least they stand behind their stuff and treated us fairly (after many letters). The 2001 that we currently have has had some annoying glitches and recently blew an injector and a coil pack - both leaving me stranded. Cars aren't perfect, but the poor reliability ratings and our own experience made us hesitant to get another VW. But we really love the styling and interiors and the hatchback, and have decided to replace the car. So we made a shortlist: A3, GTI MKV, and Volvo C30. I should mention we have a big dog, and he travels in a dog house with the seats folded flat. We couldn't get the dog house in the C30's hatch, which is very small. The A3 was tight, but it fit in the GTI nicely (although the seats don't fold flat anymore which sucks). When we compare bang for the buck, and how the car works for us the GTI is the clear winner - but there is that reliability issue that hangs over our head. Reliability is not the deciding factor, but it does matter. I have not been able to find any ratings for the MKV on the internet, but have seen the Jetta rate poorly. So I thought I would sign up here and tap into 12,000 people who own these cars. So I am interested in your stories - even if they are horror stories. UNCLE DUDE

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a 2006 GLI, built in Mexico, almost 16,000 miles, and the ONLY thing that I have had to take it to the dealership for is a new set of front tires. If you search the boards, you may be pretty hard pressed to find any serious reliability issues with this car. Everyone seems to be happy with it, and there aren't any recalls or anything.

I really like the A3, even though it kinda looks like a station wagon, but as you said, best bang for your buck, the GTI wins.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Got an '07 in December with 200 miles on it. I now have 13,000 miles and have had not one problem with this car. The only extras I have is a boost gauge and the A3 throttle pipe. Keep the oil changed and don't be too rough on it and it will last you forever.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You will be hard pressed to find people talk bad about their gti's on this site... most of the posters here think these cars can "drive" on water... lol... don't get me wrong, I think they are decent cars, but not without their issues. I have had my 2007 since August of '06, and as of today have about 5,900 miles on it. While it has never left me stranded or had any MAJOR problems, it has had a rash of minor, highly annoying, quality issues that you would not expect to see in a car that cost close to $30K.

In the 7 months I have had the car, it has been in the shop no less than 5 times, and only one of these was for regular maintenance. Again, it is a very fun car and, at this point, I do not regret my purchase; however, after driving a 328i for the last 5 years (which was a GREAT car), I must say that I am not pleased with all the issues I've had with the gti.

And before anyone flames me and says "of course it's better, it's a bmw and a more expensive car" I will say that the problems I've had with the gti I wouldn't even expect from a honda or hyundai! (leak in windshield washer reservior, TSB on fuel line rattle, air vent rattles, climatronic A/C problems, problem with lighting in flip-down visor).

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marcial said:
You will be hard pressed to find people talk bad about their gti's on this site... most of the posters here think these cars can "drive" on water... lol... don't get me wrong, I think they are decent cars, but not without their issues. I have had my 2007 since August of '06, and as of today have about 5,900 miles on it. While it has never left me stranded or had any MAJOR problems, it has had a rash of minor, highly annoying, quality issues that you would not expect to see in a car that cost close to $30K.

In the 7 months I have had the car, it has been in the shop no less than 5 times, and only one of these was for regular maintenance. Again, it is a very fun car and, at this point, I do not regret my purchase; however, after driving a 328i for the last 5 years (which was a GREAT car), I must say that I am not pleased with all the issues I've had with the gti.

And before anyone flames me and says "of course it's better, it's a bmw and a more expensive car" I will say that the problems I've had with the gti I wouldn't even expect from a honda or hyundai! (leak in windshield washer reservior, TSB on fuel line rattle, air vent rattles, climatronic A/C problems, problem with lighting in flip-down visor).
That sucks, but loving the car can go a long way in easing the pain I guess. I think VW also improved their warranties recently, to try to ease consumer's fears. So if I am not mistaken, all the problems you mention above would be covered for 4 years - is that right? Maybe the rattles are only for a year???

·
Registered
125 Posts
uncle dude, please don't think that the people who complain about little problems are the majority here. I would say that any car, especially new models, are going to have problems, it's inevitable. I have heard PLENTY of complaints about BMW's, as well as any other car out there, it just depends on who is doing the complaining. Everyone seems tuned in to different things about their cars, and if simple things like lights not working, or rattles in the cabin (please keep in mind that people beat the crap out of cars when they test drive them) are going to sway you away from buying a car, then you're going to have a hard time finding such a perfect vehicle. You should look for something that fits your personality, and won't leave you stranded somewhere. Out of everyone in this forum, I think that you will find a very small group who've ever been let down by this car (stranded). I got this car because it's the perfect balance of power and fuel economy, plus my 6'4" frame fits well with plenty of leg and foot room. I put A LOT of technical learning and research into this car, and I have to say that it's relatively very well built, from frame and body to the engine. Don't let anyone decide on this vehicle for you. And don't let problems that people have had be the only decision maker, pay just as much attention to the positives.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ecoterragaia said:
uncle dude, please don't think that the people who complain about little problems are the majority here. I would say that any car, especially new models, are going to have problems, it's inevitable. I have heard PLENTY of complaints about BMW's, as well as any other car out there, it just depends on who is doing the complaining. Everyone seems tuned in to different things about their cars, and if simple things like lights not working, or rattles in the cabin (please keep in mind that people beat the crap out of cars when they test drive them) are going to sway you away from buying a car, then you're going to have a hard time finding such a perfect vehicle. You should look for something that fits your personality, and won't leave you stranded somewhere. Out of everyone in this forum, I think that you will find a very small group who've ever been let down by this car (stranded). I got this car because it's the perfect balance of power and fuel economy, plus my 6'4" frame fits well with plenty of leg and foot room. I put A LOT of technical learning and research into this car, and I have to say that it's relatively very well built, from frame and body to the engine. Don't let anyone decide on this vehicle for you. And don't let problems that people have had be the only decision maker, pay just as much attention to the positives.
Thanks man. I believe you have to make decisions like this with your heart - otherwise I would be on the Corolla site ripping it up! A lot of people don't give value to performance, design and the smile this car puts on your face. I just want to make sure I asked the difficult questions - the ones you don't necessarily want the answers to. I can't wait until the summer when the bank account is fat enough.

·
Registered
857 Posts
CEL light came on for the first time today. I took it to the dealership, after about 30 minutes they figured it was something to do with the ECM, something about it not being able to recognize the sensors for the different emissions systems. They have to take out the ECM, and check every single connection/every single wire. He said it will be covered under warranty, and it should take roughly 5 solid hours to figure out/fix. Anyway, I'm in a bright yellow Beetle, and they're going to try to get it back to me tonight.

First major problem, and I'm at almost 16,000 miles. I don't love it any less though, it's just going to make it that much better when I do get it back.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Well, it's worse than they first thought. After telling me what exactly was wrong, technical bs that i wasn't paying attention to, he let me know that the soonest they could get the part would be Saturday, but I would probably not get my car back until Monday.

So.... it looks like I'm going to be playing for the other team for a couple days with my yellow Bug.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
10bv01 said:
Well, it's worse than they first thought. After telling me what exactly was wrong, technical bs that i wasn't paying attention to, he let me know that the soonest they could get the part would be Saturday, but I would probably not get my car back until Monday.

So.... it looks like I'm going to be playing for the other team for a couple days with my yellow Bug.
I hope this thread didn't jinx you. Make sure you beat the crap out of that bug.

·
Registered
857 Posts
GOT THE CAR BACK TODAY!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOO!!

For anyone who has had their GTI in the shop for more than an hour, you know the great feeling of getting it back. I have a new appreciation for it.

Anyway, works like a champ again, everything was covered under warranty, and I hope to never have to go through that again.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In 96 I had a Dodge Ram that was made in St. Louis, No problems. My son had an identical one made in Mexico. POS, I just traded one of that was mad in Mexico. It, too, was junk. They had to replace the tranny at 20,000 miles. The tail shaft was bent which elongated the rear seal and got shavings in the oil. How does a tail shaft on an auto tranny get bent. It had to be like that because some dumb ass dropped it when it was being assembled. I bought the GTI because it was not made in Mexico. 27,000 miles and it is perfect.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
jgo said:
In 96 I had a Dodge Ram that was made in St. Louis, No problems. My son had an identical one made in Mexico. POS, I just traded one of that was mad in Mexico. It, too, was junk. They had to replace the tranny at 20,000 miles. The tail shaft was bent which elongated the rear seal and got shavings in the oil. How does a tail shaft on an auto tranny get bent. It had to be like that because some dumb ass dropped it when it was being assembled. I bought the GTI because it was not made in Mexico. 27,000 miles and it is perfect.
Good to hear. We had a 2000 Golf made in Germany and it was a piece of crap - VW actually took it back and gave us a 2001 made in Mexico - which we still have. It has been pretty good, but soon it will R.I.P. when the GTI comes into the garage late summer. I hope to get $10,000 - $12,000 cdn for my Golf.

·
Registered
280 Posts
At least VW is aware of their lackluster models in the previous years. It seems as if they are trying to do everything right with these new GTIs to regain their image. I, for one, am happy my GTI is coming from Wolfsburg. I'm confident the little beast will hold up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.