Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the time of purchase of my '07 Fahrenheit GTI one week ago, I was surprised by my dealer's advice (the owner and a reputable guy) that I could use 87 octane fuel without a problem. We are operating at sea level and I had been told in the past that high octane was not as important as at altitude. Regardless, do any experts out there have any comments. I am reluctant to use 87 octane when the manufacturer recommends >91. Any comments are appreciated.

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
In my experience, and I am also at sea level, I was in the boondocks of NC one weekend and believe it or not the nearest gas station ONLY had 87. The idle went to shit and the response at WOT was sad. Needless to say, I've never dipped under 91. But I'm no expert.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Why risk it?

You have a car that gets 27mpg (averaged ) which is pretty damm good, this is a turbo 4 cylinder, its designed for performance ( sounds ironic i know ) ...dont try to skimp on fuel savings by getting 87 octane, if you cant afford 91 octane then sell it and buy a prius.

Just bite the bullet and run 91, if something happens to the motor by running 87 octane, the money you saved in gas will be doubled by repair costs in the end - food for thought.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
I was driving in the boonies and the only gas station was out of super... 87 just sucked. Got enough gas to get to a real town.

The motor is designed for 91, you should use 91.

It's just like skimping on oil and not using synthetic. Will the car run? Sure. Will the oil get coked. Yep.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The engine management system will perform the computational gymnastics to keep your motor safe. Not to worry.
Of course, if you put your foot in it, the difference will show it's not the rocket ya paid for.

·
Registered
446 Posts
i like BP 93 fuel myslef heard they have the best around

1 - 8 of 8 Posts