Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am about 17 and i am saving up money right now in order to buy my first car
i have my mind set on buying a gti 1.8t i think their called
i think their super sexy

i was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice/what to look for when buying a used gti/prices that are reasonable/and just stuff like that

all the different types of gti's and what they mean

i know this is probably a really dumb to ask because you guys know so much about gti's but i wanted to start with the basics and hopfully gain lots of knowledgde before and during i buy my first car/gti

Thank you

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well start here to check out info about them
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VW_GTI

This way you can figure out which generation you are looking at. I have a 2005, MKIV GTI, so the 4th generation GTI with a 1.8 engine and love it. Start by figuring out what you want and like, and ask question, and also search this site. There is a lot of information on here, and all you need to do is search tags and more than enough information will pop up. Do your research, check kbb.com for blue book values, get carfax reports on used cars to see if there are any accidents or issues that show up, and keep researching. Before I bought my used GTI I spent a year researching them, and looking around for them, until I found my deal. I bought it in 06 with only 12522 miles, for $18,000. Good thing in buying used cars, the first owner already took the hit on depreciation so your car depreciates less while in your hands. Good luck man

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
when i got my car it was a spur of the moment thing.

didnt know sh1t about them, just that is was fast as hell (i was driving a Geo Prizm at that time, which i still have)

just like any other car maintenance is very important

every 60k miles the timing belt should be done. make sure to find out when it was change if it ever was. is like a $700 job i think not sure since i did mine myself

·
Registered
556 Posts
when i got my car it was a spur of the moment thing.

didnt know sh1t about them, just that is was fast as hell (i was driving a Geo Prizm at that time, which i still have)

just like any other car maintenance is very important

every 60k miles the timing belt should be done. make sure to find out when it was change if it ever was. is like a $700 job i think not sure since i did mine myself
Yes thats a good call, forgot to add that. Check the maintenance history and what do***entation they have. I have a whole file of exactly everything I have done to my vehicle so you want to make sure the vehicle you are about to buy has a history of correct maintenance. Good looking out volcano

·
I'm Watching You
15,550 Posts
i dont have any paper work :(

i do all the work myself so i dont have anything

could run to my in-law shop and write out some fake receipts tho lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts