Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I own a 2009 GTI with the Thunderbunny package and I wanted to get a little more power out of it. I'm wondering what I can do to increase power and I'm hearing a lot about reflashing the ECU. I'm pretty new to the GTI world and It's the first nice car I've ever owned.

Can anyone kindly tell me what reflashing does, or what my best options would be if I wanted to get more power out of my GTI?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Hello everyone! I own a 2009 GTI with the Thunderbunny package and I wanted to get a little more power out of it. I'm wondering what I can do to increase power and I'm hearing a lot about reflashing the ECU. I'm pretty new to the GTI world and It's the first nice car I've ever owned.

Can anyone kindly tell me what reflashing does, or what my best options would be if I wanted to get more power out of my GTI?
Welcome! And yes reflashes are popular wit te vw community. Reflashes change a lot. They change things like timing and boost to make more power. If you visit a tuning companies website it will tell u everything that was changes in the tune. I would reccomend doing a intake first then get a stage 1 tune. The stage 1 tune is like night and day. It's so much quicker than stock. There are plenty of contained to choose from all of which has similar stage 1 tune. There's unitronic, apr, giacc, revo, and dm just to name a few.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Do an intake if you want, but you've got a 2009. I believe those have the TSI engine, so the stock air box isn't too restrictive, it just takes up a ton of room and looks ugly. That being said, an ecu flash to stage 1 will give you a lot more power. It's a ton of fun, and I highly recommend it. Just be sure to keep on top of the maintenance! If there is anything outstanding, do that first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! And yes reflashes are popular wit te vw community. Reflashes change a lot. They change things like timing and boost to make more power. If you visit a tuning companies website it will tell u everything that was changes in the tune. I would reccomend doing a intake first then get a stage 1 tune. The stage 1 tune is like night and day. It's so much quicker than stock. There are plenty of contained to choose from all of which has similar stage 1 tune. There's unitronic, apr, giacc, revo, and dm just to name a few.
Thanks for the info guys! So by new intake do you mean just adding a cold intake filter? I would assume K&N, or do you mean a new full intake system? And what reflash would be good for a big boost in power but still keep my car reliable for road trips?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! So by new intake do you mean just adding a cold intake filter? I would assume K&N, or do you mean a new full intake system? And what reflash would be good for a big boost in power but still keep my car reliable for road trips?
They are all very reliable and any tune you choose will provide large gains over stock numbers. That being said, DM Tuning and Unitronic seem to be the most popular as of late.

As for an intake, you can buy a basic drop in filter that just pops into you stock air box. What the guys below are referring to is a new air intake system. There are, once again, many to choose from. Injen, aFe, Unitronic, K&N, Volant, etc. It all just comes down to personal preference with intakes, as they all have the same function.

Check out ecstuning.com it's a good place to start! Also, use the search function in the upper right corner of your screen. Lot's of good modding and maintenance info there as well as in the stickies. Good luck, have fun, and make a build thread!

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yeah with the intake, like Cullin Kin said, you can either just drop a aftermarket filter in your airbox or actually buy a aftermarket intake. All intakes do the same thing, what your buying is the build quality pretty much. I've always loved the BSH true seal intake. But all the company's Cullin Kin said are all great company's. It's all depends how much you wanna spend. As for reflashing, I had apr stage 1 on previous gti which was a 07. It was a great tune. I have a 2010 now so I thought I would try out unitronic and let's just say I'm glad I did! But really all the tunes is pretty reliable. Usually the rule of thumb is to go with what ever tuning dealer is closest to you. That you can check on the websites

·
Registered
5 Posts
You can get a nice intake for $300 -$350. Forge makes the Wintake, as opposed to their popular Twintake, ECS has a good deal on them. You'll end up changing your mind pretty often for a while about what to buy and from whom the more you research.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts