Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd just post a few pictures of what I did to my MK4's grill to try to get in line with GTI heritage and the famous red accented grill. It always bothered me that the MK4 looked nothing like a GTI should look in my opinion. So I've been trying for an OEM+ look to change that. The latest thing I've done is a black vinyl wrapped grill with red accents.

I really like the look of it but I'm open to opinions because I've never seen this done before. I just thought I'd give a potential idea to anyone with a MK4 that wants to do a little extra up front.

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Looks interesting. I cant tell if I like it or not haha, although I am kinda confuse as to how its on there? It almost looks like you took the red strip from a mkvi and put it in a mkiv grill. Either way, pretty creative and ddifferent. you should drfinitely keep it if you like it

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks interesting. I cant tell if I like it or not haha, although I am kinda confuse as to how its on there? It almost looks like you took the red strip from a mkvi and put it in a mkiv grill. Either way, pretty creative and ddifferent. you should drfinitely keep it if you like it
It's actually just vinyl over the existing grill. Theres just dull black plastic where the red goes over

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chrome might work better. It's too much red for me.
Yeah no I totally get it. I was thinking of maybe throwing this together somehow in my grill

Funny thing about the red though, is that the red vinyl didn't match the red gti badge so I had to lay vinyl over the badge and take a razor and cut at the chrome edges of the lettering so the badge would match the stripe. That was fun haha. But the pictures are a little saturated so the red is a little more played down in person. Its my damn Indigo Blau Pearleffekt paint. Doesn't show up well in pictures so I always have to make a quick pass in photoshop.

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Yeah no I totally get it. I was thinking of maybe throwing this together somehow in my grill

Funny thing about the red though, is that the red vinyl didn't match the red gti badge so I had to lay vinyl over the badge and take a razor and cut at the chrome edges of the lettering so the badge would match the stripe. That was fun haha. But the pictures are a little saturated so the red is a little more played down in person. Its my damn Indigo Blau Pearleffekt paint. Doesn't show up well in pictures so I always have to make a quick pass in photoshop.
I was thinking those reds do match perfectly. Haha

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It's not bad. I would probably get rid of the GTI badge though.
Chrome might work better. It's too much red for me.
She beat me too it but for what's it's worth, I thought the exact same thing. I'd either lose the GTI badge or make it chrome. That's how it was on the mkV too which is probably why I'm used to seeing it that way.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Thanks for the input everyone! I think I'll order the chrome GTI lettering and work it into the grill somehow. Only $15 so might as well just to see.
You could try color matching the red one to your car's color. That might look cool too. It would be very subtle.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You could try color matching the red one to your car's color. That might look cool too. It would be very subtle.
That would be very interesting. I have kind of an interesting overall theme with my cars colors. Its Indigo blue but I tried to accent it with red. Red calipers, red rear tow hook, red grill and badge. Plus my interior is tan and black leather with aluminum trim. So It's hard to get an overall cohesiveness. Its easy with a black GTI or a White one because those colors are so neutral and welcoming of accents of any color.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I like the red strip. I always thought the MK4 GTIs lacked the red accents too. I've saw where someone put 1/8" or 3/32" vinyl red pin strips across the grill on both bars, didn't look right. Yours looks like it belongs there.

Personally I would of painted the whole grill (wet sand and buff it out for a factory look/feel), not a fan of vinyl. Either way, looks good, I might give it a go on my black GTI.

Thanks for sharing!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.