Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted the results under another topic, but with the chip, turbo back exhaust and Neu-Speed Intake. I was on the high side of 225hp and 248 torque...to the wheels. My next addition will be a strut bar as soon as it's available.

As I've said, I think I'm flirting with the limit on hp and torque for our front wheel drive MKV's.

Also, I will try and get a picture posted of my modified engine cover to accomodate the intake. It was taken off during the testing.

rr

·
Registered
952 Posts
redrocket said:
I was on the high side of 225hp and 248 torque...to the wheels. rr
To the wheels is the key here. The GTI has a 200hp/207lb torque "engine". RR is talking power to the wheels. This can be a huge difference. I've been in that car, it's a helluva ride.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Didn't I read some where that a stock GTI when put on the dyno puts out 200 hp at the wheels? I always was under the impression that VW underrated the engine in the advertising.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
where he said "to the wheels" is why it doesn't seem like that much. But here's the reality, his car is making closer to around 300BHP and 310 torque. I drive an infiniti g35, at 300hp bone stock...plus a few mods that I have, I only make 230 wheel horsepower. So the gti would definately blow my g35 away, plus it's considerably lighter...coupled with a DSG and you're golden, you've got a street rocket.

·
Registered
137 Posts
gtis are like 197 Front Wheel torque and 186fwhp. so you do the math and here is what i come up with.

7%hp loss and 5%torque loss. so.......242 Engine HP and 261 engine torque. Pretty good. How hot was it? How many pulls did you do?
p.s.remember that 252 is an estimate on a perfact day with perfect conditions, like 40-50 degrees F

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've seen dyno's of around 178hp for a stock GTI. I think a 186 stock HP rating is somewhat generous...

225 hp to the wheels is about a 47HP increase, that's a pretty nice number, at the flywheel that would be rated at around 250 HP with 11% drive train loss. I'm surprised about the torque... 194 lb-ft is the stock, and with all those mods i just thought you would have gained more than 54 lb-ft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts