My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, What wax do you recommend? What leather cleaner? Any tips on keeping my GTI's healthy coat healthy?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Come on now...

There's only one place this thread belongs and it's so obvious it's not even funny.

You need to be cautious about where you create threads and only use the General Discussion forum as an absolute last resort.

·
Registered
39 Posts
For waxes, I was the guinea pig for my friend who's getting into hardcore detailing products.

Now I don't remember the lecture he gave me on the theory of it, but I remember that I used

Meguiar's NXT Generation Tech Wax.

I applied it, in a normal fashion.

24 hours later, we went over this wax, sealing it in with what I think was "Poorboy's Natty's Paste Wax BLUE".

The end result was AWESOME. My car still beads from that job, and it's been almost 2 months. I drive my car on a daily basis, and I live in a rainy area of the island. I love this combination and will probably be doing it again soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I prefer all the products from Griots at www.griotsgarage.com. The have a great leather cleaner and conditioner as well as some great cleaning and waxing products. My favorite is the Speedshine which you can use in between washes...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Griot's Garage is no joke, the best stuff you can buy. I received a gift pack of some of their products for my birthday a few years back. As previously stated, their speed shine is AWESOME for quick touch ups or after a you drive though a puddle or something. Their rubbing clays are fantastic too. If you're serious about having your car look great, stay out of autozone and go with Griots!

·
Premium Octane
1,289 Posts
I have yet to hear a word about Meguires... I just spent 3 hours with their clay and cleaner wax products on my Candy White , and I'm impressed..unfortunately I have no garage and this is a necessary task for me, as the local pine tree population constantly rains sap on my finish.. any reason for the Meguires cold shoulder?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I tried something new with this car. I got it diamond glossed by Ziebart. They claim no waxing needed for a min of 24months and provides improved protection from things like bird crap, pine sap, bugs tar, etc. Things just seem to come right off of the surface. So far, I like it. Its been on for about 3 weeks now.

·
Registered
99 Posts
travis said:
Hey guys, any tips for cleaning the inside windows? I can't get them streak free ???
Clean your windows using an ordinary glass cleaner and newspaper as the rag. I learned the newspaper trick when I worked at a Mercedes Benz service shop. It leaves a lint free and streak free shine

·
Registered
99 Posts
VenomousButtrfly said:
Newspaper ink won't bleed off onto the glass. I've used this method MANY times w/no problems.
GIRLS RULE!!! We'll show these boys how to work on cars yet. ;)

No, the ink does not bleed. Go give it a try and you will see your windows cleaner than they've ever been.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thalo said:
I assume you have to have the paper completely flat then, and not crumpled...
Condition of the paper is not important. I like to crumple it into a ball so I can get a good grip on it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i will have to agree with BexSoCal i have also used the newspaper for windows or mirrors, but if they are really dirty i would use some windex with regular paper towel first and then use just dry newspaper to buff out some of the extra spots and get rid of any of the lint it may be double work but you will save some heavy rubbing

Men rule the world women just look really good watching us :p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Try this one for cleaning your windows. Take an empty spray bottle and fill it one-third with windex. Fill the rest with Isopropyl Alcohol (85% kind) from the drug store. Spray it on and wipe with a non-terry cloth towel (hulk-towel). Use a razor blade to scrape some of the stuborn crap from the outside of the windshield and other exterior/interior windows. Becareful of the inside windows that have tint applied. DO NOT USE A RAZOR ON THOSE!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Use a razor blade to scrape some of the stuborn crap from the outside of the windshield and other exterior/interior windows.
What would you have on the inside of your windows that would require a razor blade to remove? Did you sneeze on your windshield? Damn those stubborn boogers. :-X

·
Registered
87 Posts
Among other bodily fluids... Nah, I was referring to some of those people you see that bought a new car and they act all proud about it, but you know they don't give one damn about the car. (three year old car, washed once.....at purchase. Or better yet....you just noticed that you never scraped the glue from the dealer sticker off, but it dosen't matter anyway, because your lease is up at the end of the month) You know, that sort of thing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mr. Spool said:
Among other bodily fluids... Nah, I was referring to some of those people you see that bought a new car and they act all proud about it, but you know they don't give one damn about the car. (three year old car, washed once.....at purchase. Or better yet....you just noticed that you never scraped the glue from the dealer sticker off, but it dosen't matter anyway, because your lease is up at the end of the month) You know, that sort of thing.
That is so the thinking down here in SoCal. Not being a native, i'm not like that and totally appreciate what you're refering to. Heck, my GTI is only 2 weeks old, only has a couple hundred miles on it but it got rained on last night in LA and I need to get my baby detailed. hehehehe

1 - 20 of 32 Posts