Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this activated on your car? I found the DIY directions for the GLI. Looks like a lot of work and I was just wondering what you think.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You need to have the Euro Headlight switch installed. Installing the switch seems to be pretty straightforward, but a VAG-COM is needed to get the most out of it (ie disable DRL's to run with front fogs & parking lights only)...assuming you have the rear fogs, this will light'em up!

·
Registered
19 Posts
i know this sounds stupid but do the us gtis have auto headlights or not? i know that they have drls but is this the same

·
Registered
35 Posts
No, GTI's do not have automatic headlights...this refers to cars equipped with an ambient light sensor (usually on the dash near the windshield)--when it gets darker, the lights come on...Passats have this, but not us!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tikiman said:
i know this sounds stupid but do the us gtis have auto headlights or not? i know that they have drls but is this the same
no they are not auto headlights

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
my headlights turn on when it gets dark outside (auto) but my gauges stay dark. So when its nite time i pull away my headlights are on but my gauges and etc are still off. All i do is turn the headlight switch on and just my foglights and gauges turn on so i thought the gti's didn't have the auto.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Dude...

They daytime running lights are not automatic headlights. They come on when you disengage the e-brake, regardless of what time of day it is. You only see the beams at night though because of that pesky sun during the day. Turning the headlight switch to "on" engages the tail lights and dash lights.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I sorry if I'm missing something, but what the hell are rear fog lights for?? I dont drive backwards in the swamp too often...maybe I'm missing out??

·
Registered
690 Posts
avega said:
I sorry if I'm missing something, but what the hell are rear fog lights for?? I dont drive backwards in the swamp too often...maybe I'm missing out??
They're not so you can see, they're so others can see you.

Though, it's my opinion that if the fog outside is that dense, you need to crack open a beer and sit your ass back down on the couch. Screw driving in that.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sorry, man, that's all i've got. I just used GIS with "VW foglights" or "MkV foglights" and in two or three pages, I saw a pic, went to the guy's site, and ripped it for you. I'm sure there are more pics out there.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts