Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you made a firm decision to purchase a GTI in the next few weeks? Post the color, options and accessories you want and what region you're in so we can help you get the best deal. If you have a specific price you are willing to pay, you can post it also. I'll help anyway I can.
Fast Freddie - Admin/Founder Myfastgti.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi there,

Let me start by saying that I'm new to this forum, and thanks for offering your help to people interested in getting a GTI. I'm a recent grad who had been wanting an 07 Mini Cooper S for a few weeks, but ever since my little bro suggested the GTI, I've been researching it to death and think it would be a lot more practical for my needs. I just want a commuter that's fun to drive without having any reliability issues.

I'm in SoCal, near Santa Barbara, so I'll probably be shopping around here, Santa Maria, and Thousand Oaks. I'm open to either a manual or DSG, in candy white, united grey, or black, with package 1 and the 18" alloys. MSRP is around $24-25, and the dealers I've contacted so far seem to be quoting near invoice, which is right around my price range. I have pre-approved financing through my credit union, but would be open to the APR special offers. I'd love to purchase this week or by 4th of July.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advanced!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey,

1st VW GTi forum I've joined and couldn't pass up the opportunity to learn more and get some helpful tips on my situation. I'm located in the Washington D.C area and have been eying an GTi for a few weeks now. As my user name suggests I'm an ex-evolution 8 owner but it's time for me to get something more practical and luxurious. The interesting this is I want to purchase TWO GTis at the same time...my brother also wants one. We both want a DSG with Package 2. MSRP is $26,455 and invoice is $25,288. Bro wants Candy White and I'm interested in either Silver or Black. We're thinking they'd give us a much bigger discount if we buy them at the same time and get it financed through VW @ the 3.9% rate. In theory anyways :). What do you guys think?

How about...
23788 + TTL for each? 08's are coming soon and the end of the month is only a few days away so we're in the drivers seat (hopefully).

Another option we're looking at is to email/fax the closest 15 dealers with our price for TWO cars + a trade in (pristine condition). Pretty much a take it or leave offer. We're considering asking $36000 OTD + a trade in of a 2004 JETTA GL w/23000 miles for both GTis. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Again I hope to contribute a lot more once I get the car!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I apologize for being short on time today, I'll try my best to get you answers and help you on your purchases asap.
ff

·
Registered
25 Posts
as a side note, i test drove an 07 gti today with dsg, 18" alloys, and package 1....

SO hooked! that car was such a blast to drive and provides the perfect balance of functionality/fun i'm looking for. when you get the time, i'd love any further insight into the buying process near southern california (i'm in santa barbara). i'm in contact with a bunch of dealerships right now, who seem to be quoting near "invoice," although i'm not sure if this is edmund's or some inflated version of it. also, around 9-10% for TTL...maybe i could get a deal b/c it's the end of the month/almost 4th of july?

my ideal (for the budget..) would be united grey, dsg, 18" alloys, and package 1...

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I live in the Toronto area.

I'm looking to put an offer on a Black 2007 GTI 5door, 6spd manual with Leather/sunroof package, 18" wheels, and rear airbags.

Any thoughts on what I should be offering off of list?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:'( Sorry, I've run into a personal problem with my daughter who's 3000 miles away and haven't had the time to work on this, my deepest apologies. I'll be on this ASAP I'm truly sorry if I've caused you any inconvenience. I should have everything worked out by tomorrow.

FF

·
Registered
40 Posts
Austin, TX
'07 4dr Fast
United Gray---Pkg 1
18" Huffs
I have been working with a dealer and I have worked out the cost @ invoice which is 24,777. Can anyone help me do better?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WantaGTI said:
I hope everything is all right!
Boyfriend troubles lol may have to bring out some old fashion FF East Texas style whoop azz. LOL
I'm hoping to be able to start calling soon.
ff

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey FF. Sorry to hear that. Hopefully everything ends up fine! :)

Okay well just finished talking to a few dealerships.

Options I was looking at:

Package 2, Automatic, Stock wheels/tires, 2 door. MSRP - $27,205. Invoice is $25,288

Dealership #1 offered me $24,750 + 3.17% tax, $69 title and $200 processing fee for each car.
Dealership #2 offered me $24,550 for each car + tax, title but $100 processing fee.
Dealership #3 QUOTED me $1k OF invoice @ edmunds, so $24,288. Invoice is $25,288. If you go there it includes freight. When I got to the dealership he said yes we'll do that ($24,288) if you will sign papers today. I agreed and he went to the manager and came back and said freight was never part of the quote. So I walked out because he basically lied to me + dealership 2 would then be a better price.

So now I'm heading to another dealership to see if he'll do $24,288 + 3.17% tax, $69 title, $200 processing fee = $25,375. I'm looking at CW or BM. Whatever they have. Hopefully I'll have it by tomorrow and put some pictures up!! Any other tips?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Evotransfer-

Where are you located? In socal I've been getting quoted 100-300 over invoice, nothing compared to 1000 below like your quote. I only want package 1 though, this may have something to do with it? Props for walking out of the dealership that tried messing with you..

Best of luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm in the D.C area.

Tell them to give to you for $500 under invoice. There is dealer hold back of like 500-700 so they're not losing money if they slip under invoice. Just know your stuff and you're bound to get a good price. Just don't pay over invoice :)

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry for being out of commission for the last couple of days.

Okay,
1. if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. 1000 under invoice? I'd be scared as hell of that deal and that car. Something is wrong. Either they have something special planned for you (that's going to cost you a lot more than 1000) or there is something wrong with the car. Lot damage is the first thing that comes to mind, but high miles, demo and the ever dreaded new car with repetitive problems can also be give away cars. If you have a trade, that can definitely be where the extra 1000 is coming from. They low ball you to believe they have the best price, you come to them, then the odds are in their favor you will purchase their car when they tell you the same price as their competitors.

2. According to my sources, there is no dealer cash on GTIs, and yes, they may go into the holdback if desperate enough to move the car (see above). But normally, they will never touch this. IMO, getting a GTI at invoice is a great deal and completely achievable.

If I could get invoice from a dealer, the next thing I would look at is the service dept. and their reputation of handling customers. You can get the "unreal deal" sometimes, but I've seen many of those deals come back to haunt the buyer if he needs the dealer's help later on.

ff

PS. always be able to walk away without the car if it doesn't seem right. Don't feel obligated, and don't get attached to just that car.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As far as "invoice" goes, the dealer I've been the most interested in buying from is now saying they use the "official VW invoice price" but can't reveal that until he gets a deposit. BS, right?

Why is car buying difficult?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just orderd an '08 with the Autobahn package on friday.... Since the cars have not arrived here in the U.S. yet I had to order it based on MSRP..... The price at MSRP w/ the destination charge is 27,465. Dealer invoice is 25,702.... We won't be able to negotiate the price until the car arrives in September, but if we can't agree on a priceI do not have to take the car.

Any ideas of what I should be able to beat them down to?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Quigaboo said:
I just orderd an '08 with the Autobahn package on friday.... Since the cars have not arrived here in the U.S. yet I had to order it based on MSRP..... The price at MSRP w/ the destination charge is 27,465. Dealer invoice is 25,702.... We won't be able to negotiate the price until the car arrives in September, but if we can't agree on a priceI do not have to take the car.

Any ideas of what I should be able to beat them down to?
Why couldn't you negotiate the price? We did the same thing (ordered 08) and agreed upon the price before ordering. If the price goes up, we eat it ($200 increase in Canada). I think you have lost some leverage by not negotiating now, because when you see it you will want it bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really have not lost the leverage because I don not have to accept the car.. The dealer is ordering a car for me that he has had a tough time selling in the past.. (most of the buyers at his dealership do not want leather) 1 week before the car comes in, I will have to sit with the finance manager and work out the terms..... Me no likey, me no takey! I have only left a $500 deposit which is fully refundable... I am hoping to get the car for about $26,200.00 but I am looking for advice as to what I can actually get it down to..... I am willing to pay more, but not MSRP!

I have 2 other cars so I am not going to be in a bind without having the GTI. And by then the cars will be available (for the most part) at most dealerships by me so I will have the abaility to price shop the car before negotiating with my dealer

Any thoughts

1 - 20 of 314 Posts