My Fast GTi banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my GTI for about 5000 miles now and i've developed a lot of rattles in the cabin. The ac vent in the top middle of the dash rattles all the time as well as the stainless door trim accents and plenty more that i can't narrow down. I had my windows tinted right as i bought it, i'm wondering if they didn't put it back together as tight in the doors. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I suggest driving with a set of golf clubs in back. That way you can blame all rattling noises on the clubs. Works for me!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Thalo said:
I suggest driving with a set of golf clubs in back. That way you can blame all rattling noises on the clubs. Works for me!
i donno about your fast but my fast doesnt like golf. he thinks the only real sport is formula 1 racing. >:D

·
Registered
68 Posts
my speakers rattle.... but thats cause they are crap + i think i've killed them ... DOH! all money to be be spent on changing things - stupid mortgage!!! im sure everything is cheaper in the states!

offt opic-

like the chap here who is 17 with a GTI he'd have to be insured under his parents here or be on about ?5,000 insurance a year ($9,000) i know my GTi is ?1200 and im 23 with 3 years no claims bonus ( 35%discount)

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Would be the same here. I was insured under my parents up until a couple years ago. Insurance on my old Jetta would have been around $5000 a year when I was 18. Not that it was anything special, but just because it was a new-ish car.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
yeah... my insurance per month is almost the same as the car payment a month :(. i give my parents 100 bucks out of each biweekly paycheck i get to help them a bit (about half my money). so by the time i do that and fill up the tank i got like 60 bucks left to mess with for 2 weeks hah.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yeah, I've got an issue with my steering wheel. It squeaks whenever the ambient temp is above 90. I think it's mounted too tight and the heat makes the plastic expand. Gonna ask the dealer to fix it when I get my first oil change here soon.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
walkerwhippet said:
Yeah, I've got an issue with my steering wheel. It squeaks whenever the ambient temp is above 90. I think it's mounted too tight and the heat makes the plastic expand. Gonna ask the dealer to fix it when I get my first oil change here soon.
thats pretty odd... you should have them check the power steering fluid also. maybe you have some sort of leak

·
Registered
15 Posts
about that middle vent rattle, if you take it into the dealership they should be able to remove two parts that arnt really necessary and it should stop.

mine is starting up too, and I read on another forum that this takes care of it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah they said something about putting foam in there somewhere. They don't know about all the other rattles though. I'm taking it in this weekend to have a test drive with the mechanic to see if he can pin down the locations.

·
Registered
21 Posts
well, this is my first post, but i too have the same rattle problem in the middle dash vent. (my car is also united grey, not that that matters when contributing to noise...) but yeah. How much will the dealer charge to fix that rattle?

·
Registered
68 Posts
rattles should be free to have looked at and fixed... warrenty.

i had a rattle on my drivers door.... god that was annoying! (i elbowed it into submission and it's not come back)

Also i put a sticky felt patch on the passanger side behind the seatbelt clip.. that tends to rattle on the pillar if the windows are oppen and winds rushing over it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
alexjhill said:
rattles should be free to have looked at and fixed... warrenty.

i had a rattle on my drivers door.... god that was annoying! (i elbowed it into submission and it's not come back)

Also i put a sticky felt patch on the passanger side behind the seatbelt clip.. that tends to rattle on the pillar if the windows are oppen and winds rushing over it.
see, i like that seat belt rattle, adds the "fast" effect. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
t-h-e-w-h-o said:
well, this is my first post, but i too have the same rattle problem in the middle dash vent. (my car is also united grey, not that that matters when contributing to noise...) but yeah. How much will the dealer charge to fix that rattle?
I have an 07, i've had it for 2 weeks when this rattle at the exact area as yours started to rattle. I gave it a gentle tap and its gone away temporarily. Let me know what your stealership says about repairing this.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have "the rattles" too. But one of mine is coming from the sunroof cover. When it's full open it rattles up above my head. I'll complain about it when I go in for a fix of my broxen driver side air vent.

P.S. Based on other coments - does a rattle gennerally count as warranty work? I hadn't thought to note the roof until now.

·
Registered
261 Posts
UnitedGTI said:
I have had my GTI for about 5000 miles now and i've developed a lot of rattles in the cabin. The ac vent in the top middle of the dash rattles all the time as well as the stainless door trim accents and plenty more that i can't narrow down. I had my windows tinted right as i bought it, i'm wondering if they didn't put it back together as tight in the doors. Any ideas or suggestions?
I have the same issue.. Let you local dealer know and they will replace the whole thing. If that dont work I know of a gauge pod that replaces the whole thing with 3 60mm or 3 52mm gauges. I will try to get pics to post up. It looks amazing but it is still in the production stages.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most of the rattles from the pass side vents and dash are caused by the same problem. The intake sound amplifier, located under the cowl (follow the plastic intake pipe along the right side of the engine running longitudially) has is bolted to in by 3 bolts, one of these mounts for the sound amplifier rubs against the body and simply needs to be bent upwards 90 degrees to clear the body.

I would love to post pics, as I'm a vw tech and have run into this problem several times when the gti's first appeared but my DC won't transfer pics to my laptop. I'll try and download some pics from my main computer later.

Hope this info is helpful

-keebs

my first post!!!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.