Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, i just opted for a Yakima ski rack on a 2007 4door gti. I went w/Yakima over Thule simply because the cross bars are round so I can tilt the racks back to make 'em more aerodynamic when not in use.

I initially bought the 32" fairing not knowing what size i should get, brought it out to the car, placed the box on the top and it looked a little narrow - so i went back in and exchanged it for the 38". They also offer a 44" and a 50" fairing. I'm about to install the thing and will post back here with some feedback. My question is - what fairing sizes have folks bought for their vehicles? ???

Gracias,

Pete

·
Registered
530 Posts
I don''t have one, but I really would like to see how yours turns out. Post up some pics when your done please! And while your at it, list all the parts you had to buy with the part numbers. That would be a huge help!

·
Banned
890 Posts
Did you already install the rack? I have an 07 GTI and the Yakima rack doesn't fit. Also ordered one from Patrick accessories and they sent wrong one even though I told them make/model/year/ and VIN ! For fairing I think it's around 42" but Yakima help line will tell you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here's what you need for a basic multisport rack from Yakima. It applies to 07-08 model year only. Check our Yakima.com configurator for more deats.

1 pair 58" bars
1 44" fairing - especially helpful if you have a sunroof!
1 pk Q towers
2 pr. Q102 clips
at least a four pack of lock cores.... buy more so you can have one key that drives the whole system. Nothing worse that three different keys...

From there you mix your mounts and accessories.

Lemme know if you have questions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
We call that 'cracked wheat' in the rack business. Happens all the time... :'(

Used to make this thing called the load alert. It sat on top of your hood ( magnet ) and was spring loaded. As you drove the wind would push it flush against the hood as you slowed, it would release and alert of your load up above. Amongst other issues it just did not sell.

Perhaps a product ahead of it's time? Nothing currently in the works to improve upon it sadly.
RF maybe. It certainly bares a solution.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looking back on my post up above there....javascript:void(0) I can see how my position and reply may look like an advert for Yakima. My bad. Thule does make a fine product. Subtle differences make the brand. Look at both rack brands carefully and choose wisely based on your specific needs and / or past experience.

So glad I got that off my chest.javascript:void(0)

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
GTIdaho said:
We call that 'cracked wheat' in the rack business. Happens all the time... :'(

Used to make this thing called the load alert. It sat on top of your hood ( magnet ) and was spring loaded. As you drove the wind would push it flush against the hood as you slowed, it would release and alert of your load up above. Amongst other issues it just did not sell.

Perhaps a product ahead of it's time? Nothing currently in the works to improve upon it sadly.
RF maybe. It certainly bares a solution.
build a sensor into the rack O0

·
Registered
530 Posts
GTIdaho,

Here's a question: How difficult is it to take the rack off/put on the car? How long does it take?

Thanks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
depending on the number of mounts attached it takes 10 minutes tops to remove the entire rack...if that. Simply unlock and throw the capes up and the clips release. two people remove the rack so you dont scuff the the roof trying to lift the whole thing off yourself.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.