Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racing - Track or Autocross... who does it.

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  jaredgti 
#1 ·
Alright, I want to hear all your performance and race situations. What, where, and how are you doing? What are your goals, and what cars/upgrades do you have? Green flag is flyin'!

#4 ·
Counts, but doesn't count... Not much interest in this poll huh?

#5 ·
I really have a desire to pursue racing / professional driver, the only problem is I don't have any idea how to get into such a sport? Anyone with thoughts on what it takes, or how you get started in the racing scene? Not to mention where are the races where you could actually enter your type of vehicle and be in the right class.

#6 ·
ShroomDaddy said:
I really have a desire to pursue racing / professional driver, the only problem is I don't have any idea how to get into such a sport? Anyone with thoughts on what it takes, or how you get started in the racing scene? Not to mention where are the races where you could actually enter your type of vehicle and be in the right class.
honestly, from an outsider's point of view it would take a lot of money at this point. I started very young, and it still took money (just not as much as now) and it was my family's money and support at that time. Amature racing would be more in order unless you plan on dropping mucho dinero.

#8 ·
PMAZ said:
I don't think it's a lack of interest, but a lack of experience.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I would love to race my GTI but I'm neither sure how to get started, nor anxious to wreck my $23,000 investment because I'm a dumbass.

So as much as I'd like to, I actually somewhat intimidated by it. Now if only I knew someone who worked at a driving school who could give me lessons...

#9 ·
blackdevil said:
I bought my car two weeks ago and my first week victim was an acura rsx.Last week I smoked my friends audi a4 1.8t >:D
I love sitting in traffic behind an A4 1.8T or an Audi TT with one exhaust (the 180hp version from a couple years ago) and thinking: "I could smoke this fucker in the Audi".

#10 ·
DrJones said:
PMAZ said:
I don't think it's a lack of interest, but a lack of experience.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I would love to race my GTI but I'm neither sure how to get started, nor anxious to wreck my $23,000 investment because I'm a dumbass.

So as much as I'd like to, I actually somewhat intimidated by it. Now if only I knew someone who worked at a driving school who could give me lessons...
That is exactly how I felt last year.

I have a friend at work who does autocross, and when I turned up with my new GTI, he went full tilt into "you've gotta come out and do it!"

My worries of damaging my car were high at first, but after going to the start of the year n00bies training class, I got a chance to race my car, and with an experienced passanger giving me tips and hints all the way through. If you have one nearby, I highly reccomend doing a training class with this group, or one connected to it. the cost was less than $50, and the people are super nice. I've since gone back for normal events, and had a great time.

You're in a big lot filled with traffic cones, with little chance of hurting your car, other than a cone leaving a mark on the side, and the need to clean it off. Like I said, check out the training week next year in your area, and have a blast!

SCCA solo

#11 ·
I'm getting into racing... so far I've been to Car Guys events... mainly to get comfortable w/ the track... and the whole atmosphere there

when i had my 03 gti 1.8t, i took it out on the track twice... stock... and the track totally dwarfed the turbo...
my dad recently invested in a 1984 gti rabbit... thats totally race ready... and i took it out this past october, and it was a blast!!!

this may be my personal opinion... but i wouldnt recommend taking your street car to the track... besides of all the wear and tear, a split second is between you and a shitty weekend... plus however long it takes you to smooth out the wrinkles in your car...
i've watched many guys with expensive cars go home in tears b/c they made a stupid mistake
(a lot of those were corvettes... 'nuff said)
but back to the point... i feel much more comfortable in a steel box with a roll cage, nasty sport suspension and a more than adequate fire extinguishing system than a street car with lap belts. plus... if i hit a tire wall, it'll cost tons less to fix an old gti than my new 06 one

anyone who's looking to get into racing on the track should check out the car guys website... or skip barber
its SOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun ;D

#12 ·
hondaeater said:
anyone who's looking to get into racing on the track should check out the car guys website... or skip barber
its SOOOOOOOOOOOO much fun ;D
blasphemous.... but I do agree about not driving your street car. Use that thing to get groceries (albeit however fast you'd like!) Race cars are for racing and the track is the place to do it.

#13 ·
I go to track days whenever I can. I belong to the Mercedes club and we have at least one track event every year. Not racing per se but just honing your driving skills on the track. Timed events and "racing" are against the rules so there is minimal risk of damaging your car. My only upgrade so far is the install of Eibach sportline springs. Near zero body roll is the result. Next will be some sort of brake up grade as the stock units are not really up to the task. I wish we had more track days but the local track has been torn up and made into a park.
On the front straight- up to about 120mph with a chicayne.

my two cars in the paddoc area- the Audi isn't mine

Its nice to have a friend with one of these if you are trying to get more than one car to the track.

The good thing about the Mercedes club events is that we don't require you to bring a mercedes unless it is a national event and that the turn out is small to allow for all the track time you can handle.

#15 ·
hondaeater said:
sorry that im biased...

i've grown up with car guys, my dad helped start the blue ridge PCA region too...

but I've had a lot of fun on the track with those guys... plus i've learned a lot

didn't mean to offend anyone !!!
No worries! I was actually speaking of the Skip Barber part... blood enemies! I'm glad you're using your skills for racing.

#16 ·
Attended my first Auto-X today, didn't participate. I was impressed by some and laughed at some others. Especially the little 16 year old daddy's boy in the supercharged 350Z who understeered thru and then INTO every corner. ;D

PMAZ... I've mastered the heel toe technique, due to your posts (thanks!) , and now i want to apply it.. is it smart to use on a cone track, where you're primarily in 2nd? Or is it reserved for more like circuit courses? I've got a bunch of questions about entry and exit: Do you swing wide thru a hairpin, then cut it in at the apex? Or do you stay tight to the inside cones thru the entire corner? Everyone there was talkin about how "this guy took the wrong line" does that vary by car? Say for our FWD MkV.. whats an average line for a FWD car?
Little lengthy, but watching this event got my blood rushing.. I'm gonna do it next month, but don't want to make a complete fool of myself. Tips welcomed

#17 ·
Bcruzin said:
Attended my first Auto-X today, didn't participate. I was impressed by some and laughed at some others. Especially the little 16 year old daddy's boy in the supercharged 350Z who understeered thru and then INTO every corner. ;D

PMAZ... I've mastered the heel toe technique, due to your posts (thanks!) , and now i want to apply it.. is it smart to use on a cone track, where you're primarily in 2nd? Or is it reserved for more like circuit courses? I've got a bunch of questions about entry and exit: Do you swing wide thru a hairpin, then cut it in at the apex? Or do you stay tight to the inside cones thru the entire corner? Everyone there was talkin about how "this guy took the wrong line" does that vary by car? Say for our FWD MkV.. whats an average line for a FWD car?
Little lengthy, but watching this event got my blood rushing.. I'm gonna do it next month, but don't want to make a complete fool of myself. Tips welcomed
Whenever you're driving fast, heel-toe will work. If you can, limit your shifts on an autocross as much as possible. As far as line goes, there is the line that looks good on "paper" and the line that works. It would be a lengthy explanation that would need detailed information.

#19 ·
Anytime, that's what I'm here for.

#20 ·
Autocross..... safe, fun, solo..... have done two events w/ 4 runs each day and just completed an "Instructor Day" where the top dogs in the club show us drills for certain sections of the course.... then you put it all together in afternoon full course runs. I dropped 2.5 seconds from 8am first run to 4pm final run.... the mk5 gti is a blast on an auto x course..... find a local club now!! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.