Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my '07 GTI 2 days ago and have a question for you all. I live in California and I'm interested in performance mods for my GTI, that don't hurt the cars ability to pass smog. I'm also NOT interested in making my GTI any louder. I like quiet.

Q: What mods do you recommend for increasing HP while still keeping the car stock quiet and still able to pass smog?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just found out when installing my Neuspeed intake that it doesn't pass the Cali smog laws...I thought that was strange but I read that in the information pamphlet that came qith my intake ???

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard a little about the Revo ECU upgrade or flash or whatever... Also, APR... any recommendations between the 2?

·
Registered
749 Posts
mattabaziou said:
I just found out when installing my Neuspeed intake that it doesn't pass the Cali smog laws...I thought that was strange but I read that in the information pamphlet that came qith my intake ???
It's not so much a problem of 'doesn't pass' as of 'hasn't been certified.' The car could pass a smog test if it was just up to the test equipment; you just have to have a tester who will look the other way. Not that any technician would EVER do that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info, i just read all 18 pages of the ECU/Software upgrade thread and I'm about to barf from digesting all that info... I've also got a nice headache to go with all this new knowledge. I found a shop close by that is an official APR dealer, i'm going to work with them to get the APR stage 1 ECU software. They also had a wave file from the stealth APR turbo back exhaust system, and i really liked the way it sounded... however, 1300 bucks for a little boost and a huge chance i'll never pass smog again... i'll take a raincheck.

I read on that ECU thread about there being a possible issue with the Diverter Valve (DV), and I noticed at the APR dealer shop near me, they sell a type "C" diverter valve, which is supposed to be stronger than the factory type "B" diverter valve... I guess i should try and use that good old search button again to find out if my late '07 GTI 4 door has the Type "B" from the factory or the type "C" ...

I also saw this shop sells the Carbonio intake that keeps the stock engine cover... that sounds kind of interesting to me although i keep reading that the intakes don't do much for the performance. I may just throw a K+N stock filter replacement in after i get a couple thousand miles on my Fast.

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
HoldDaMayo said:
Thanks for the info, i just read all 18 pages of the ECU/Software upgrade thread and I'm about to barf from digesting all that info... I've also got a nice headache to go with all this new knowledge. I found a shop close by that is an official APR dealer, i'm going to work with them to get the APR stage 1 ECU software. They also had a wave file from the stealth APR turbo back exhaust system, and i really liked the way it sounded... however, 1300 bucks for a little boost and a huge chance i'll never pass smog again... i'll take a raincheck.

I read on that ECU thread about there being a possible issue with the Diverter Valve (DV), and I noticed at the APR dealer shop near me, they sell a type "C" diverter valve, which is supposed to be stronger than the factory type "B" diverter valve... I guess i should try and use that good old search button again to find out if my late '07 GTI 4 door has the Type "B" from the factory or the type "C" ...

I also saw this shop sells the Carbonio intake that keeps the stock engine cover... that sounds kind of interesting to me although i keep reading that the intakes don't do much for the performance. I may just throw a K+N stock filter replacement in after i get a couple thousand miles on my Fast.
Take a look at the Nuespeed cat back exhaust.

Demo both the APR and the REVO- they both have test trials that last for 5 hours then go back to stock. Revo has a handheld controller you can use to put the stock ECU mappings back online. GIAC also has a plugin controller.

Perf gains w/ the Carbonio intake are pretty small and i'm not sure on it's CARB status.
Save your money and buy a good filter like a BMC or a K&N.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
frankly, all the talk about the Revo ecu mods causing the engine to run lean has scared me off... that's one thing i'm not that interested in subjecting my virgin engine to.

I think I'll just take my chances with the APR ECU mods, but I'll definitely check out the Neuspeed exhaust.

Thanks for all the replies, even the ones that told me to use the search button ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
BlueFrogPosse said:
mattabaziou said:
It's not so much a problem of 'doesn't pass' as of 'hasn't been certified.' The car could pass a smog test if it was just up to the test equipment; you just have to have a tester who will look the other way. Not that any technician would EVER do that.
Yea I know what you mean...I just remember seeing that slip of paper but I didn't think anything of it...I live in MD and there is no issue here [dragon]

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
i like in florida so there are no emission tests here either >:D. i wonder how badly i would pass the test since i have no cat... hahaha

·
Premium Member
4,311 Posts
HoldDaMayo said:
frankly, all the talk about the Revo ecu mods causing the engine to run lean has scared me off... that's one thing i'm not that interested in subjecting my virgin engine to.
Where have you heard this nonsense? :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Detonation and lean air/fuel ratio was mentioned quite a few times on that ECU/Software thread regarding the Revo... but half of the people saying it were "I heard... yada yada yada"

Only one person on there actually had the revo mod and complained about detonation, so could have been something going on with his fuel system and I don't remember what stage his Revo ECU mod was.

I kept reading that

Revo = Most HP, but more wear and tear on the motor
APR = Less aggressive performance, but less chance of increased engine wear
GIAC = somewhere between the 2

I know that there have been quite a few revisions of all those companies software since some of those posts were made so that info could be quite dated...

·
Registered
577 Posts
Smart move is to go to your dealer, go talk to the techs and ask them about modifications, tell them the car is stock and if they will do any modifications like an aftermarket exhaust or an intake...or even a chip to increase performance...just feel them out and see what they say, if they are very against it you will know not to mod and bring the car there, but if they are lax about it you could form a good relationship ...even one that might save your butt if something happens later after a mod.

doing nothing is the worst you can do if you want to mod, better to get information.

good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts