Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the site and unsure if there is an existing thread regarding this already. I have a MK4 and was wondering if there was a way to turn all exterior lights off while the car is still running. Can this be done with the Euro Switch?

Thanks

-Alex

·
Registered
53 Posts
The only way is turning the light switch to the drl position and engaging the e brake

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I'm new to the site and unsure if there is an existing thread regarding this already. I have a MK4 and was wondering if there was a way to turn all exterior lights off while the car is still running. Can this be done with the Euro Switch?

Thanks

-Alex
if your ebrake us up and your switch is in the off position all of your lights should be off...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Yes, the euro switch gives you the option of turning the parking lights (along with the Daytime Running Lights) off. There's an extra position on the switch for the parking lights, then the head lights (and two options for the front and rear fog lights--by pulling out on the switch once or twice). The DRL option is done by bending one of the pins before installing the euro switch. Search for euro light DIY on vwvortex.com.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Like all lights? Markers, tails, heads, everything? Cuz when you start your car it should be like that. If you mean just the heads then yes, the Euro switch will allow that as the first click is just running lights, meaning just side markers, tails, and city lights(not so bright accent bulb below high beams).
And Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yes, the euro switch gives you the option of turning the parking lights (along with the Daytime Running Lights) off. There's an extra position on the switch for the parking lights, then the head lights (and two options for the front and rear fog lights--by pulling out on the switch once or twice). The DRL option is done by bending one of the pins before installing the euro switch. Search for euro light DIY on vwvortex.com.
i don't have the euro option...? but i have option to pull out my switch once for front fogs and twice for both front and rear fogs [although i don't have rear fogs installed]. if i switch it all the way to the left [off?] the lights only turn off when the ebrake is engaged. are you saying that if i buy a euro switch, i can turn my lights off when i drive?

·
Registered
471 Posts
i don't have the euro option...? but i have option to pull out my switch once for front fogs and twice for both front and rear fogs [although i don't have rear fogs installed]. if i switch it all the way to the left [off?] the lights only turn off when the ebrake is engaged. are you saying that if i buy a euro switch, i can turn my lights off when i drive?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
You'd have to do the DRL mod but yeah. No lights while driving w/o DRL's. I like to roll with my parking lights and fogs on cuz I have housing w/o city lights. Car looks stealth with HID fogs and only parking lights.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You'd have to do the DRL mod but yeah. No lights while driving w/o DRL's. I like to roll with my parking lights and fogs on cuz I have housing w/o city lights. Car looks stealth with HID fogs and only parking lights.
Vag com gets rid of drl's, but I kinda like them

·
Registered
2,641 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Im not trying to threadjack but is there a way to turn the center lights on. I just found out how to turn my fog lights on by reading this thread and I tried all of the configurations of lights on/off high beams on/off and pbreak on and off and the lights in the center seem to do nothing. Are they there for show or do I have two blown headlights. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
The center lights on stock headlamps are the daytime running lights. If yours don't come on, then your bulbs are blown. You should be able to get some replacements for them at the auto parts store.
DRL are your outer lights. FYI
inner lights are City lights
middle are fogs/blinker

EDIT: also some of the headlamps dont come with factory fogs. so if you do hit the switch to turn them on nothing will happen

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I actually meant the lights that you have in the pic you posted... I guess those are not the center of the headlight, but center of the car.. lol

My car came with the Euro switch and DRL mod. Are the lights in your pic not the DRLs?
City Lights

DRL

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess I cant turn on my city lights. I do have fogs that are under the head lights. If I turn the switch to either DRL or lights on the same head lights are on. It seems weird that the city lights are installed, but I cannot turn them on. I guess I will have to get out my manual and replace some bulbs if necessary. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
I guess I cant turn on my city lights. I do have fogs that are under the head lights. If I turn the switch to either DRL or lights on the same head lights are on. It seems weird that the city lights are installed, but I cannot turn them on. I guess I will have to get out my manual and replace some bulbs if necessary. Thanks for the help.
you need a euro switch to have only city lights on.

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Hmm, odd, cuz Frankie's new car when the DRLs are on, were only the center lights and not the outers... are the 01's different?
the city lights in my pic actually has 2 bulbs in that housing... one is the city light which is at the bottom and the middle is your highbeams.

like soo..... kinda hard to see but if you look at the left housing theres 2 in there

1 - 20 of 36 Posts