Volkswagen GTI Forums - My Fast GTi banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you want to throw money at a car that will spank a Z06 I suggest you look for something used like a 300Z twin turbo, or a WRX Sti and start throwing.

This GTI is a driver's car. It's built for a guy (or gal) with a little change to spend who likes the whine of a turbo and the tight handling of a genuine european sports car--not to mention 30 mpg on the highway. It's Automobile's car of the year for a reason. It does everything well. It's a joy to drive to and from work and likes a little law-bending exercise. While this car gets up and goes, the straight acceleration is hardly its high point. Taking it through the twisties and practicing your heel-toe, and doing handbrake turns in the rain is where this thing is at. You can mess with the intake, exhaust and suspension to fit your taste. You can spend a few grand to make it really sing, but pushing past another 20 hp will torque steer you off the road and keep you buying tires every season.

In short, if you think you're going to buy a stock GTI and turn it into an AWD 500hp killer, you're fwording nuts. There is no Shelby model of the GTI. There are no racing stripes. This is car is built for the automotive enthusiast, not the HP-hungry nutjob. Five-hundred hp doesn't mean shit if you can't do anything with it. Why do you think people keep crashing their Ferraris?

That said, it's a cool car and if you like it the way it is, then jump on it. If not, you can always save your pennies for that kick-ass Shelby GT (I'd drive it).

Unless of course you know somebody who works for HPA:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupe/112_0610_2008_hpa_volkswagen_r32

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.